Toronto defeats Minnesota in extrasMay 15, 2011 - 12:12 AM
J.P. Arencibia went 2-for-5 with a solo home run, three RBI, and two runs scored while Yunel Escobar added three hits and two runs scored for the Blue Jays, who have won four straight.
Jo-Jo Reyes gave up three runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits with a walk and six strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings, while Jon Rauch (2-2) got the win for throwing two scoreless innings.
Michael Cuddyer went 3-for-5 with a solo home run for the Twins, who have lost their past seven games.
Nick Blackburn gave up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits with two walks and eight strikeouts over 7 2/3 innings. Glen Perkins (0-1) was charged with the loss.
"It's been tough for us all over," said Blackburn. "A few things different here and there and we win that game. But that wasn't the case and we just need to all go out and do our job and things will get better."
In the 11th inning, the Blue Jays broke the tie and then some.
After Corey Patterson led off the inning with a single against Perkins, Jim Hoey took the mound and Bautista deposited a pitch over the wall in right. The next two batters walked and another pitching change was followed by a two-run double from Arencibia. A run-scoring walk from Rajai Davis, which was followed by another pitching change, and a sacrifice fly from Patterson made it a 9-3 contest.
Shawn Camp set the Twins down in order in the bottom of the frame to close out the win.
The Blue Jays got on the board in the first inning. Escobar led off with an infield single and moved to second on a sac bunt from Patterson. A wild pitch moved Escobar to third and he scored on a Danny Valencia throwing error off a Bautista grounder to third.
Minnesota answered in the bottom of the first as an RBI single from Justin Morneau was followed by Delmon Young's sacrifice fly for a 2-0 lead.
Toronto tied the game in the second on Arencibia's solo homer, his sixth of the season.
The score stayed 2-2 until the sixth inning when Cuddyer led off with his fourth homer of the year to give Minnesota a 3-2 lead.
However, the Blue Jays tied the game again in the eighth after Escobar hit a two-out infield single and Patterson followed with a triple to dead center.
Minnesota went just 1-for-13 with men in scoring position and left 12 men on base...Toronto has taken four of five from Minnesota this season...Minnesota outhit Toronto, 13-9.
- TORONTO: 9
May 14 7:37 PM
- Corey Patterson sacrifice fly out to left scored John McDonald. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 9, Twins 3 Top 11, 2 OutsMay 14 7:29 PM
- Rajai Davis walked. J.P. Arencibia scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 8, Twins 3 Top 11, 0 OutsMay 14 7:25 PM
- J.P. Arencibia doubled to left scored Juan Rivera and Aaron Hill. Runner on second with none out and David Cooper due up.
Blue Jays 7, Twins 3 Top 11, 0 OutsMay 14 7:18 PM
- Jose Bautista none-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Corey Patterson. Juan Rivera due up.
Blue Jays 5, Twins 3 Top 11, 0 OutsMay 14 7:11 PM
- Corey Patterson tripled to center scored Yunel Escobar.. Runner on third with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 3, Twins 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 14 6:23 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Danny Valencia due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 14 5:47 PM
- Rajai Davis struck out swinging to end the inning.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 2 Mid 2May 14 4:38 PM
- Michael Cuddyer struck out looking to end the inning.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 2 End 1May 14 4:30 PM
- Jose Bautista caught stealing second. None on with two outs and Juan Rivera at the plate.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 14 4:17 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 4:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21