Bautista hits 3 homers, Blue Jays sweep TwinsMay 16, 2011 - 12:15 AM
Bautista hit solo shots in the third and fourth and added a two-run homer in the sixth inning to increase his MLB-leading total to 16. In the series, he hit five home runs and went 7-for-14 with seven RBI.
Brandon Morrow (2-2) gave up three runs on five hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in five innings and took the win, Toronto's fifth straight.
Trevor Plouffe, Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer each drove in a run for the Twins, who have dropped their last eight games. Brian Duensing (2-3) was touched for seven runs on eight hits over just three innings.
Toronto jumped on top in the first inning on a two-run double from Aaron Hill, and made it a 3-0 game in the second on an RBI double by Yunel Escobar.
The Blue Jays kept the runs coming in the third, which Bautista led off with a homer to left. A single from John McDonald later in the frame plated two more, and Jose Molina followed with an RBI single for a 7-0 lead.
Bautista went deep for the second time in the game and fourth in the series in the fourth inning, making it an 8-0 game.
Minnesota put its first three men on base in the fourth and, after a Delmon Young strikeout, got a run across on a Michael Cuddyer walk. However, Morrow retired the next two batters to escape further damage.
The Twins got closer in the fifth, when RBI doubles from Plouffe and Morneau pulled them within 8-3.
Toronto, though, got those runs back in the sixth. Molina led off with a double and later came home on a Corey Patterson single. Bautista followed with a shot over the wall in right-center for an 11-3 lead.
The slugger said he stepped to the plate with the same approach he uses for every at-bat.
"Just trying to get ready on time, see the ball well and look for something over the plate and try to hit it hard," Bautista said. "I got plenty of pitches to do that this series."
Bautista had a chance to join the four-home run club, but he grounded into a fielder's choice at short to end the eighth inning.
Bautista has 13 home runs and 21 RBI in his last 19 games. He led the majors with 54 homers last season...Toronto has taken five of six from Minnesota this season...Minnesota begins a two-game set in Seattle on Monday, when Toronto starts a two-game series in Detroit.
- TORONTO: 11
May 15 4:56 PM
- Jose Bautista one-out, two-run Home Run 3 (16) to right center scored Corey Patterson. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 11, Twins 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 15 3:59 PM
- Corey Patterson single to right scored Jose Molina with one out. Runner on first with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 9, Twins 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 15 3:57 PM
- Justin Morneau double to right scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Blue Jays 8, Twins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 15 3:47 PM
- Trevor Plouffe double to left center scored Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Blue Jays 8, Twins 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 15 3:44 PM
- Danny Valencia flied out to right. Bases loaded with two outs and Drew Butera due up.
Blue Jays 8, Twins 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 15 3:31 PM
- Jose Bautista one-out, solo Home Run 2 (15) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 8, Twins 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 15 3:14 PM
- Jose Molina single to center scored John McDonald with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 7, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 15 2:57 PM
- John McDonald single to left scored Aaron Hill and Rajai Davis with two out. On the play, John McDonald advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Molina due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 15 2:56 PM
- Jose Bautista lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 4, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 15 2:50 PM
- Yunel Escobar double to left scored Jose Molina with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Corey Patterson due up.
Blue Jays 3, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 15 2:38 PM
- Aaron Hill double to left center scored Yunel Escobar and Corey Patterson with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Rivera due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 15 2:23 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 2:15 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21