Rockies pound MarlinsAug 18, 2011 - 5:20 AM
The Rockies pounded Nolasco (9-9) for 11 runs on 11 hits, highlighted by Gonzalez and Iannetta each knocking in four runs, the former capping the barrage with a three-run homer in the third.
Aaron Cook (3-7) was overshadowed by the offensive showcase with 7 2/3 quality innings, allowing three runs on nine hits. The Rockies have won three of five overall.
Jose Lopez spoiled a shutout bid with a leadoff homer in the eighth, and Mike Stanton added a two-run shot later in the inning to end Cook's night.
The outcome, for all intents and purposes, was already decided by that point though, as Colorado jumped out to an 11-0 lead after three turns at the plate.
"To be in a game where it's comfortable feels good," Iannetta said.
Nolasco entered Wednesday's rubber match on the heels of a four-start stretch in which he went 3-1 and allowed just six runs.
He gave up nearly that many in the first inning alone.
Gonzalez started the onslaught by taking a 3-0 fastball to center field for an RBI single, then scoring on Chris Nelson's infield hit. The bases were left loaded for Iannetta, who cleared the bags thanks to Mike Cameron misplaying his line drive to straightaway center.
The only positive to come out of Nolasco's start came in the second when he fanned Mark Ellis to tie Dontrelle Willis' club mark of 757 strikeouts.
The bright spot quickly became an afterthought after he surrendered six runs in the third. Iannetta, Cook and Mark Ellis each singled in runs, and Gonzalez golfed his 20th home run of the season over the right-field wall.
"It was one of those days. Everything they hit was finding holes," Marlins manager Jack McKeon said.
Eric Young Jr. plated Dexter Fowler in the eighth for the Rockies' final run, and DeWayne Wise and Lopez each knocked in a run in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Nolasco's previous worst outing came against Houston on August 12, 2009 when he yielded 10 runs in 3 1/3 innings. He had given up two runs or fewer in eight of his previous nine starts and was 5-0 in his career against Colorado coming in...Cook earned his first home win of the season...The Rockies went 8- for-19 with runners in scoring position.
- FLORIDA: 5
Aug 17 11:22 PM
- DeWayne Wise single to right scored Gaby Sanchez with none out. On the play, Dewayne Wise advances to second on Seth Smith's fielding error. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Webb due up.
Marlins 4, Rockies 12 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 17 11:18 PM
- Eric Young Jr. single to right scored Dexter Fowler with one out. Runner on first and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 12 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 17 11:13 PM
- Mike Stanton two-out, two-run Home Run (29) to left scored Bryan Petersen. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 3, Rockies 11 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 17 10:59 PM
- Jose Lopez lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Jose Ceda due up.
Marlins 1, Rockies 11 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 17 10:55 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez two-out, three-run Home Run (20) to right scored Dexter Fowler and Mark Ellis. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Marlins 0, Rockies 11 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 9:50 PM
- Mark Ellis single to right scored Chris Iannetta with two outs. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Marlins 0, Rockies 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 9:48 PM
- Aaron Cook single to left scored Chris Nelson with one out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second. Runners on first and second and Dexter Fowler due up.
Marlins 0, Rockies 7 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 17 9:43 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to left scored Todd Helton with one out. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aaron Cook due up.
Marlins 0, Rockies 6 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 17 9:42 PM
- Chris Iannetta double to center scored Troy Tulowitzki, Seth Smith and Chris Nelson with two outs. Runner on second and Aaron Cook due up.
Marlins 0, Rockies 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 17 9:13 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Dexter Fowler with one out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Marlins 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 17 8:59 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 8:40 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21