Back-to-back homers power D-Backs to winMay 16, 2011 - 12:02 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Xavier Nady and Ryan Roberts hit back-to- back homers to lead Arizona past Los Angeles, 4-1, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Ian Kennedy (4-1) went six innings, allowing one run on four hits and a walk while fanning eight to help give the Diamondbacks their second straight win after a five-game losing streak.
Ted Lilly (3-4) allowed four runs on five hits and two walks. He also struck out five in six innings for the Dodgers, who have dropped two in a row after three straight victories.
"Ted changed speeds and kept them off balance. He kept us in the game," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "We had chances, but we just couldn't crack through."
Nady hit a two-run home run and Roberts followed with a solo shot in the second. Chris Young later hit a sacrifice fly to score Miguel Montero and give Arizona an early four-run lead.
Jamey Carroll led off the third with a double and scored on an Aaron Miles single to make the score 4-1.
After Miles' single, the Dodgers did not have a baserunner until pinch-hitter Juan Uribe walked with one out in the seventh inning.
Closer J.J. Putz allowed a James Loney double to start the ninth inning and Uribe worked a one-out walk to bring the tying run to the plate. Putz then got pinch-hitter Rod Barajas to fly to deep center and Jerry Sands to pop out to second to earn his ninth save of the year.
The only other time Los Angeles had runners in scoring position was in the first inning. Carroll and Miles started the inning with back-to-back singles and Matt Kemp walked two batters later to load the bases with one out. But Loney flew out and Dioner Navarro struck out to end the inning.
"Today was a battle throwing strikes. My command wasn't as good and my curveball wasn't as good early, but I had good defense behind me," Kennedy said of his performance.
The Dodgers placed pitcher Blake Hawksworth on 15-day disabled list on Sunday. Los Angeles recalled pitcher Javy Guerra from Chattanooga to fill the roster spot...The Dodgers struck out 13 times...Andre Ethier went 0-for-4 to end his streak of 37 games in which he had reached base safely...Home plate umpire Manny Gonzalez was the first Venezuelan-born umpire to work behind the dish.
- ARIZONA: 4
LOS ANGELES: 1
May 15 7:19 PM
- Aaron Miles single to right scored Jamey Carroll. Runner on first with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 15 5:11 PM
- Kelly Johnson struck out looking to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 0 Mid 2May 15 4:43 PM
- Ryan Roberts none out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 15 4:36 PM
- Xavier Nady none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Stephen Drew. Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 15 4:35 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 15 4:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21