Kemp, Dodgers take down D-BacksJul 30, 2011 - 6:07 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp belted a three-run homer and added a two-run single to boost the Dodgers over the Diamondbacks, 9-5, in the opener of a three-game series.
Andre Ethier went 3-for-4 with an RBI, while Ted Lilly (7-10) went the minimum five innings to get credit for the win, Los Angeles' fifth in six games.
Justin Upton, Willie Bloomquist and Ryan Roberts all homered for Arizona, which has dropped two straight on the heels of a four-game winning streak.
Josh Collmenter (6-6) surrendered five runs on seven hits in just 3 2/3 innings to take the loss.
"I couldn't find a comfortable rhythm. I was struggling. Things didn't feel as they normally do," Collmenter said.
Roberts deposited a Lilly offering into the Dodgers' bullpen in the second inning, but Kemp countered the solo blast with a home run of his own in the third, though his came with Aaron Miles and Ethier on base.
An Xavier Nady single plated Upton in the fourth, though Kemp answered with a bases-loaded knock that brought in a pair for a 5-2 cushion.
"Fortunately there were runners on base and I was able to get hits," Kemp said. "We had timely hits tonight and did a good job of getting guys on base."
Bloomquist sailed one over the left-field wall in the fifth, and Roberts and Ethier traded RBI singles in the sixth.
Upton again made it a one-run game with his 21st home run in the seventh, but his error in the home half hindered the comeback bid.
With runners on first and second, Tony Gwynn hit a fly ball to the warning track in right. Upton had a decent jump on the ball, but simply misplayed it at the wall, pushing in a run and leaving runners on second and third.
Jamey Carroll's sacrifice fly and Rafael Furcal's run-scoring double padded the lead, and the Dodgers held on from there.
Lilly was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on three hits and two walks. He has surrendered 23 home runs this year, the third most in the National League...Kemp needs four more hour runs to surpass his career high total of 28 set last year...Upton extended his hitting streak to 10 games.
- ARIZONA: 5
LOS ANGELES: 9
Jul 30 1:45 AM
- Rafael Furcal double to left center scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with two out.. Runner on second with two outs and Aaron Miles due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 30 1:17 AM
- Jamey Carroll sacrifice fly to right scored Dioner Navarro with two out. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Rafael Furcal due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 30 1:17 AM
- Justin Upton fielding error scored James Loney with one out. Runners on second and third with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 1:13 AM
- Chris Young popped out to short to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 6 Mid 7Jul 30 12:54 AM
- Andre Ethier single to right scored Jamey Carroll with one out. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 30 12:50 AM
- Ryan Roberts single to right scored Chris Young with one out. Runner on first and Collin Cowgill due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 30 12:39 AM
- Willie Bloomquist one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 5 Top 5, 1 OutJul 29 11:56 PM
- Matt Kemp single to center scored Eugenio Velez and Aaron Miles with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on first and third and Juan Rivera due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 29 11:46 PM
- Xavier Nady single to left scored Justin Upton with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 3 Top 4, 1 OutJul 29 11:19 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, three-run Home Run (25) to center scored Aaron Miles and Andre Ethier. Juan Rivera due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 29 11:06 PM
- Collin Cowgill struck out swinging to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 0 Mid 2Jul 29 10:34 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21