Upton, D-Backs use big sixth inning to beat DodgersJul 31, 2011 - 6:05 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Justin Upton hit the go-ahead three-run double to highlight a big sixth inning, sending Arizona to a 6-4 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The victory capped a night the Diamondbacks received pitching help in their quest for a playoff spot. They acquired Jason Marquis from the Nationals and sent minor league infielder Zachary Walters to Washington.
Arizona pulled within three games of NL West-leading San Francisco. Following the conclusion of this three-game series, the Diamondbacks visit the Giants for three.
Micah Owings (5-0), making just his fourth start in 18 games this season, surrendered six hits and four runs over five innings.
"I felt good. I was sharper this outing than the last one. The bullpen was lights out tonight," Owings said.
Matt Kemp hit a two-run homer for the Dodgers, who came into Saturday winners in five of six games.
Chad Billingsley (9-9) was charged with seven hits, six runs and five walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Down 4-1 entering the sixth, the Diamondbacks scored five times to go in front. Chris Young singled and stole second ahead of Brandon Allen's walk. Ryan Roberts and Gerardo Parra walked to force in a run. Parra's came after he rallied from an 0-2 count.
"I beat myself in the sixth inning, I walked too many guys," Billingsley said. "I tried to throw strikes, but it just didn't happen."
Xavier Nady, pinch-hitting for Owings, lifted a sacrifice fly to right field. Kelly Johnson walked with two outs, leading to Upton's double to the gap in right-center field to clear the bases.
"It was a big spot in the game and the pressure was on them," Upton said. "I got a slider up in the zone and got a hit."
Ryan Cook, Joe Paterson, Bryan Shaw, David Hernandez and J.J. Putz combined to shut down the Dodgers. Putz recorded his 23rd save.
Willie Bloomquist hit a sacrifice fly with the bases full in the second inning, but the Dodgers scored three times in the third, two coming on Kemp's 26th homer of the year. The other came from Casey Blake's sac fly, right after Tony Gwynn's triple.
Jamey Carroll singled in Aaron Miles in the fourth.
The Diamondbacks also recalled Cook from Triple-A Reno Saturday and placed left-handed pitcher Alberto Castillo on the disabled list with left shoulder tendinitis...Blake was activated from the disabled list prior to the game. The Dodgers also placed infielder Juan Uribe on the 15-day DL due to a left hip strain...Billingsley is 9-7 lifetime against Arizona...Upton has hit safely in 11 straight games...Owings has just two wins in 10 career appearances vs. the Dodgers as his teams have gone 2-8 in those contests...Arizona's Collin Cowgill got his first major league hit, a pinch single in the eighth.
- ARIZONA: 6
LOS ANGELES: 4
Jul 31 2:04 AM
- Justin Upton double to right center scored Ryan Roberts, Gerardo Parra and Kelly Johnson with two outs. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Dodgers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 31 2:04 AM
- Willie Bloomquist struck out looking. Runners on first and third with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 31 12:02 AM
- Gerardo Parra walk scored Chris Young with none out. Bases loaded and Micah Owings due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 30 11:58 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to center scored Aaron Miles with one out. Runner on first and Chad Billingsley due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 30 11:31 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, two-run Home Run (26) to center scored Andre Ethier. Juan Rivera due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 30 11:08 PM
- Casey Blake sacrifice fly to center scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with two outs. None on and Andre Ethier due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 30 11:05 PM
- Willie Bloomquist sacrifice fly to right scored Brandon Allen with two outs. On the play, Gerardo Parra advances to second and Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on second and third and and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 30 10:36 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21