D-Backs keep rolling in win over DodgersSep 13, 2011 - 6:18 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Gerardo Parra went 2-for-3 and knocked in four runs to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks over the Los Angeles Dodgers, 7-2, to open a three-game series.
Paul Goldschmidt and Ryan Roberts each had two hits and an RBI for the D- Backs, who have won five of six to stay 8 1/2 games ahead of the Giants atop the NL West standings.
Joe Saunders (11-12) was effective through seven frames, allowing just four hits and two runs to earn the win.
"My game plan was to throw strikes and not walk anyone," Saunders said. "I was able to mix my pitches. I was able to get ahead of guys and make them hit my pitch."
Ted Lilly (9-14) was handed a career-worst 14th loss after surrendering three runs on three hits and three walks in 5 1/3 innings of work.
"Ted pitched good. It was one of those games you question yourself of taking him out," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "It didn't work out tonight."
Matt Kemp's home run in the first inning, his 33rd of the season, was the lone offense for Los Angeles until Jerry Sands singled in a run in the seventh.
Lilly kept the visitors off the board over the first five frames, but Willie Bloomquist led off the sixth with a single and raced around to score on Aaron Hill's double.
The Dodgers went to the bullpen with runners on the corners and one out, and Matt Guerrier surrendered run-scoring hits to Goldschmidt and Roberts around a walk to Chris Young.
Guerrier was pulled without recording an out, and Parra greeted Scott Elbert with a two-run single to left, pushing the margin to 5-1.
Parra doubled in a pair in the eighth, and D-Backs closer J.J. Putz stranded the bases loaded in the ninth to secure his 39th save.
D-Backs catcher Miguel Montero went 0-for-3 to snap an 18-game hitting streak...Sands had half of the Dodgers' six hits.
- ARIZONA: 7
LOS ANGELES: 2
Sep 13 1:44 AM
- Gerardo Parra double to center scored Paul Goldschmidt and Chris Young with two outs. Runner on second and Joe Saunders due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 13 1:04 AM
- Jerry Sands single to left scored Aaron Miles with one out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 13 12:47 AM
- Gerardo Parra single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt and Chris Young with one out. On the play, both runners advance on the throw. Runners on second and third and Joe Saunders due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 13 12:17 AM
- Scott Elbert enters the game for the Dodgers with the bases loaded with one out.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 13 12:13 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to left scored Aaron Hill with one out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 13 12:03 AM
- Aaron Hill double to left scored Willie Bloomquist with none out. Runner on second and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 12 11:55 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, solo Home Run (33) to right. Juan Rivera due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 12 10:23 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21