Diamondbacks edge Dodgers in 10 inningsSep 14, 2011 - 6:40 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Ian Kennedy failed to record win No. 20, but the Arizona Diamondbacks still pulled out a 5-4 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers after Chris Young worked a bases-loaded walk in the 10th inning.
Gerardo Parra hit a game-tying homer in the seventh and led off the 10th with a base hit. Javy Guerra (2-1), in his second inning of relief, retired the next two hitters before throwing 13 straight balls.
The Dodgers' closer intentionally walked Miguel Montero, who homered and drove in three runs, and gave a four-pitch free pass to Paul Goldschmidt before tossing four more out of the strike zone to Young, breaking a 4-4 tie.
J.J. Putz closed out Arizona's sixth win in seven games for his 40th save of the season, trimming the club's magic number to win the NL West to six.
Chad Billingsley yielded three runs on four hits and three walks over 6 1/3 frames for LA, which had won four in a row before dropping its last three, including the first two in this three-game set.
"We had a couple chances to put it away, but we didn't get the hit we needed," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Billingsley was in line for the win when he was pulled with one out and the bases empty in the seventh. Hong-Chih Kuo entered and struck out pinch-hitter Collin Cowgill before facing Parra.
Kuo brushed Parra off the plate with a fastball over his head, much to the hitter's chagrin. Parra dug back in and hammered a 3-1 fastball into the right-field stands, admiring his moonshot slowly down the first-base line.
The antics caught the attention of the Dodgers' bench, which was visibly upset by the perceived slight. Both teams were issued warnings, and not much came of the altercation thereafter.
Arizona's bullpen took over from there, as Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and Micah Owings (7-0) each hurled a scoreless inning of relief, with Owings getting credit for the victory.
Montero's home run in the first inning staked Kennedy with a 2-0 lead, but the Dodgers pushed four across in the bottom half.
Dee Gordon doubled to lead off the frame, moved to third on Justin Sellers' single and scored on Matt Kemp's sacrifice fly. After a pop out, the Dodgers got consecutive run-scoring hits from James Loney, Aaron Miles and Jerry Sands for a 4-2 lead.
Kennedy settled down to go six full frames, allowing a total of seven hits and one walk in the no-decision.
"I didn't have my best stuff. My command wasn't as sharp," Kennedy said. "I'm glad my team picked me up."
Montero plated Aaron Hill with a sacrifice fly in the third to make it a one- run contest.
Kennedy had given up just three runs over his previous four outings. He remains unbeaten (9-0) against divisional foes this season...The Dodgers were 8-1 in extra-inning games coming in...Guerra threw just 15 of his 38 pitches for strikes...Clayton Kershaw, who angrily shouted at Parra from the dugout following his home run, will be on the hill Wednesday for the Dodgers opposite Daniel Hudson.
- ARIZONA: 5
LOS ANGELES: 4
Sep 14 1:44 AM
- Chris Young walked scoring Gerardo Parra with two out. Bases loaded and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 4 Top 10, 2 OutsSep 14 1:30 AM
- Gerardo Parra two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 14 12:20 AM
- Miguel Montero sacrifice fly to left scored Aaron Hill with two out. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 4 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 13 11:07 PM
- Jerry Sands double to left scored Aaron Miles with two out. Runner on second and A.J. Ellis due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 13 10:43 PM
- Aaron Miles single to center scored James Loney with two out. Runner on first and Jerry Sands due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 13 10:40 PM
- James Loney doubled to right scored Justin Sellers with two out. Runner on second and Aaron Miles due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 13 10:38 PM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly out to right scored Dee Gordon with one out. Runner on first and Juan Rivera due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 13 10:32 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 13 10:23 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21