Kemp strengthens MVP resume as Dodgers dump D-BacksSep 27, 2011 - 5:08 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp padded his MVP resume with a three- run homer in the first inning, lifting the Dodgers to a 4-2 victory over the NL West champion Diamondbacks in the opener of a regular season-ending three- game series.
Kemp leads in two-thirds of the Triple Crown categories, pacing the NL in home runs (38) and RBI (123) while his .324 average currently ranks third behind Ryan Braun (.334) and Jose Reyes (.334).
Dana Eveland (3-2) tossed 5 2/3 shutout innings to earn the win, Los Angeles' eighth in 10 games.
Daniel Hudson (16-12) yielded four runs on five hits in seven innings for Arizona, which had won four straight coming in and still trails the Brewers by one game for the NL's second-best record.
Kemp showed off his power in the first, sending a payoff pitch high over the center-field wall. Dee Gordon doubled and Jerry Sands walked prior to the blast.
Justin Sellers added an RBI single in the seventh, and the Diamondbacks rarely threatened before loading the bases with one out in the eighth.
Scott Elbert relieved Nathan Eovaldi with the bags full, and immediately threw a wild pitch to bring in a run. A walk to Miguel Montero brought in Mike MacDougal out of the bullpen, and he issued a two-out walk to pinch-hitter Geoff Blum to force in another run.
But MacDougal got Gerardo Parra to fly out to end the inning, and Javy Guerra, LA's sixth reliever, closed out the win in the ninth for his 21st save.
The Dodgers clinched a winning season for the 15th time in 18 years...Kemp has a 10-game hitting streak...Sands went 1-for-3 and has a 14-game hitting streak...Eveland allowed just five hits with no walks and five strikeouts.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Sep 27 12:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Geoff Blum walk scored Aaron Hill. Bases loaded with two outs and Gerardo Parra due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 27 12:14 AM
- Scott Elbert's wild pitch scored Ryan Roberts. On the play, Chris Young advances to second and Aaron Hill advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with one out and Miguel Montero at the plate.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 27 12:13 AM
- Justin Sellers single to right scored James Loney. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Lindblom due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 7, 1 OutSep 26 11:31 PM
- Matt Kemp none-out, three-run Home Run (38) to center scored Dee Gordon and Jerry Sands. Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 26 9:50 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21