Sandoval, Giants top DiamondbacksApr 16, 2011 - 7:38 AM
Cain (2-0) allowed just four hits and was charged with one run over six-plus frames. The right-hander walked two and had three strikeouts in the opener of the three-game series, helping the Giants win for the sixth time in eight contests.
"I felt good out there and was trying to throw both sides of the plate," said Cain. "Those guys over there have been swinging the bat well and I wanted to keep them off balance."
Another game, another case of no run support for Daniel Hudson. The 24-year- old righty gave up six hits and five runs -- four earned -- over six innings. Hudson (0-3), who tied a career-high with 10 strikeouts, had received just one run offensively in each of his first two starts. Hudson, got no runs Friday while he was in the game.
Acquired from the Chicago White Sox during the 2010 campaign, Hudson went 7-1 with 1.69 earned run average in 11 starts for the D'Backs. His ERA this season stands at 4.26.
Willie Bloomquist knocked in both runs for the Diamondbacks, who lost for the second straight time.
Hudson fanned three batters in the first inning, but couldn't get the key out. Freddy Sanchez legged out an infield single and Buster Posey's base hit set the stage for Sandoval's two-out blast to right field.
"You don't want to leave a changeup out over the middle of the plate for Sandoval," said Hudson. "I felt good other than that, but one bad pitch can kill you."
Sandoval walked and scored on Miguel Tejada's double in the fourth, and the Giants added another run the following inning thanks to an error. Aubrey Huff was on second, and as part of a double-steal took third. Catcher Miguel Montero threw the ball into left field, making it 5-0.
The Diamondbacks loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, but came away with only one run. Jeremy Affeldt was lifted in favor of Ramon Ramirez, who retired Willie Bloomquist on a sacrifice fly. With two runners in scoring position after a wild pitch, Kelly Johnson struck out to end the inning.
Brian Wilson entered the game with two runners on and two outs in the ninth before yielding an RBI single to Bloomquist. Johnson then flied out to left to end the game, giving Wilson his third save of the year.
Earlier Friday, the Diamondbacks placed right-handed pitcher Aaron Heilman on the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder tendinitis. The Diamondbacks recalled right-handed pitcher Josh Collmenter from Triple-A Reno to fill the roster spot...Cain is 7-4 lifetime against the Diamondbacks...Bloomquist has a season-opening, 10-game hitting streak.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Apr 16 12:39 AM
- Willie Bloomquist singled to right scored Miguel Montero. Runners on first and third with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 16 12:37 AM
- Willie Bloomquist sacrifice fly out to center scored Stephen Drew. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 15 11:56 PM
- Pablo Sandoval struck out swinging. On the play, Aubrey Huff steals third and scores on Miguel Montero's throwing error. Buster Posey steals second. Runner on third with two outs and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 15 11:01 PM
- Miguel Tejada doubled to left scored Pablo Sandoval. Runners on second and third with one out and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 15 10:40 PM
- Pablo Sandoval two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Freddy Sanchez and Buster Posey. Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 15 9:49 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 15 9:42 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21