Giants get by Diamondbacks for fourth straight winApr 17, 2011 - 3:50 AM
Buster Posey belted a two-run homer while Aaron Rowand went 3-for-4 for the Giants, who overcame hitting into double plays in five straight innings.
Giants starting pitcher Barry Zito left in the second inning with a right mid- foot sprain. He went to field a Joe Saunders bunt and appeared to have landed oddly and rolled his ankle. He went just 1 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on three hits.
Guillermo Mota (1-0) relieved Zito and went 4 1/3 innings, surrendering just one run on three hits while striking out four.
Miguel Montero plated two runs for the Diamondbacks, who have lost three straight and dropped the first two games of this three-game set against the defending World Series champs.
Saunders (0-2) was roughed up for 12 hits and five runs in 6 2/3 innings.
With the game knotted at three, the Giants got a two-out rally in the seventh, which was capped off by Sanchez. Mark DeRosa and Brandon Belt started the late rally with singles and Rowand walked to load the bases. Sanchez then came up and hit a grounder through the third-base side to plate both DeRosa and Belt to make up the 5-3 game
"We had two outs, they got a walk, they got three hits, so we didn't match their bullpen," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "They got 7 1/3 innings from the pen. The way I had my lineup set up, all the righties in there, and Zito goes out, and their bullpen responded as good as you can ask."
The Giants held on from there thanks to set-up man Sergio Romo coming in the eighth to get two outs and closer Brian Wilson, who recorded his fourth save of the season in a 1-2-3 ninth.
"The bullpen won the game for us, sure we had some big hits there, Freddie Sanchez was struggling there, he got a big double, but the bullpen did it." said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Posey blasted a homer over the left-center fence to score Rowand during the Giants' first at-bat to take a 2-0 lead.
But the Diamondbacks posted a two-spot in the second to knot the game. Chris Young got a one-out double and Xavier Nady drew a walk to set up Montero's two-run double that skirted into the right corner.
The home team took the lead on Melvin Mora's RBI double to right, but it only lasted one inning as Sanchez ripped a double down the left field line to score Rowand to tie the game.
Bochy celebrated his 56th birthday on Saturday...San Francisco won 13 of its 18 matchups with the D'Backs last season and is 27-10 in the series since the start of the 2009 campaign...The Diamondbacks, who had just six hits, went 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position...Zito will have an MRI on Sunday on his foot.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Apr 16 10:55 PM
- Freddy Sanchez single to left scored Mark DeRosa and pinch-runner Brandon Belt with two out. Runners on first and second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 16 10:11 PM
- Freddy Sanchez double to left scored Aaron Rowand with none out. Runner on second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 16 9:40 PM
- Melvin Mora doubled to right scored Miguel Montero with two out. On the play, Melvin Mora was thrown out at third, right to second to third to end the inning.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 3 End 4Apr 16 9:23 PM
- Miguel Montero doubled to right scored Chris Young and Xavier Nady. Runner on second with one out and Melvin Mora due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 16 8:39 PM
- Buster Posey two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Aaron Rowand. Miguel Tejada due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 16 8:17 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 8:13 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21