Drew lifts Diamondbacks over Giants in extrasApr 18, 2011 - 2:46 AM
Upton and Chris Young drew consecutive one-out walks before San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy replaced Dan Runzler (1-2) with Javier Lopez. Drew then hit a grounder through the right side and Nate Schierholtz's throw home was not in time.
"I got a pitch I could handle and just put a good swing on it," said Drew.
Drew added a two-run triple for Arizona, which salvaged the finale of this three-game set. Upton belted a solo home run.
Diamondbacks starter Barry Enright gave up four runs on four hits with two walks and five strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings. Josh Collmenter (1-0) tossed two scoreless frames to pick up the win in his major league debut.
"He did a great job. Overall, just a great contribution from everybody," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson.
Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval hit back-to-back home runs to highlight a four-run sixth inning for the Giants, who were seeking their fifth straight victory.
"We won our last three series. That's all you really want to do," said Aubrey Huff, who had a solo homer. "It's tough to sweep, especially on the road."
San Francisco starter Madison Bumgarner surrendered four runs and eight hits over 6 2/3 innings.
Arizona loaded the bases in the third inning with three consecutive one-out singles by Willie Bloomquist, Kelly Johnson and Upton. Young then lofted a sacrifice fly before Drew smacked a two-run triple to right field for a 3-0 lead.
Huff belted his solo home run in the fourth, but Arizona got the run back an inning later on Upton's blast to left-center field.
The Giants pushed across four runs to move ahead in the sixth. Aaron Rowand led off with a double, took third on a Freddy Sanchez single and scored on Huff's sac fly. Posey then tied the game with a two-run homer to left field.
Esmerling Vasquez replaced Enright and Sandoval greeted the reliever with a shot to right field to put San Francisco up 5-4.
Arizona rallied with two outs in the eighth. Jeremy Affeldt took over on the mound after Ramon Ramirez issued a walk to Xavier Nady. An infield hit by Miguel Montero put men on the corners for Ryan Roberts, who grounded an RBI single to left field. Both runners moved into scoring position when Affeldt uncorked a wild pitch, but the left-hander fanned Juan Miranda to end the inning.
The Giants placed pitcher Barry Zito on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a right mid-foot sprain and purchased the contract of pitcher Ryan Vogelsong from Triple-A Fresno...Arizona snapped a five-game losing streak against San Francisco.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Apr 17 7:59 PM
- Stephen Drew single to right scored Justin Upton with one out to end the game.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 12, 1 OutApr 17 7:59 PM
- Juan Miranda is pinch-hitting for the Diamondbacks.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 17 6:53 PM
- Pablo Sandoval one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 17 5:55 PM
- Buster Posey one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Freddy Sanchez. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 17 5:51 PM
- Aubrey Huff sacrifice fly out to right scored Aaron Rowand. Runner on first with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 17 5:48 PM
- Justin Upton one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Chris Young due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 17 5:35 PM
- Aubrey Huff two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 17 5:06 PM
- Stephen Drew triple to right scored Kelly Johnson and Justin Upton. Runner on third with two outs and Xavier Nady due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 4:56 PM
- Chris Young sacrifice fly to left scored Willie Bloomquist. Runners on first and second with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 4:55 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 4:10 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21