Giants hold off D-Backs to close out perfect homestandMay 13, 2011 - 4:02 AM
Nate Schierholtz went 3-for-4 with an RBI and Eli Whiteside doubled twice for the Giants, who swept this three-game series after taking three straight from Colorado at AT&T Park. San Francisco has now won eight of nine overall.
"Anytime I can get an opportunity to play and help contribute to a win, that's my goal every day whether it's coming off the bench or starting," Schierholtz said.
Matt Cain (3-2) gave up two runs on seven hits, walked one and struck out seven in 7 2/3 innings to earn his first win since April 15.
Daniel Hudson (3-5) allowed three runs on seven hits and walked three over 6 2/3 innings in the loss, Arizona's fourth in a row -- all by one run.
"I was able to make pitches when I needed to except for the seventh," Hudson said. "I thought I made some decent pitches, but they just put some good swings on them. You can't do anything but tip your caps to them sometimes."
Down 3-0, the Diamondbacks scored twice in the eighth after Cain retired the first two batters.
Three straight singles by Gerardo Parra, Xavier Nady and Stephen Drew -- the last one coming off San Francisco reliever Jeremy Affeldt -- produced Arizona's first run. Ramon Ramirez succeeded Affeldt and Justin Upton greeted him with an RBI single. Russell Branyan grounded out to second to end the inning.
Javier Lopez replaced Sergio Romo after Arizona's Ryan Roberts led off the ninth with a single. A one-out single by pinch-hitter Chris Young put men on the corners, but Lopez struck out Kelly Johnson and Parra to notch his first save of the season.
Schierholtz drove in Cody Ross after the latter opened the second with a double.
It remained a 1-0 game until Whiteside scored in the seventh on a double by Andres Torres, who then came home on Huff's soft liner to right field.
The Giants have won six games in a row at home for the first time since August 23-28, 2007...Lopez picked up his first save since September 12, 2006.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 12 6:32 PM
- Justin Upton single to left scored Xavier Nady with two outs. On the play, Stephen Drew advances to second. Runners on first and second and Russell Branyan due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 12 6:01 PM
- Ramon Ramirez enters the game for the Giants with runners on first and second with two outs.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 12 5:59 PM
- Aubrey Huff single to right scored Andres Torres with two outs. Runner on first and Cody Ross due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 12 5:43 PM
- Andres Torres double to right scored Eli Whiteside with one out. Runner on second and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 2 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 12 5:40 PM
- Nate Schierholtz single to center scored Cody Ross with none out. Runner on first and Miguel Tejada due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 12 4:13 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 3:46 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21