Ross, Giants clip D-BacksJun 15, 2011 - 6:25 AM
Matt Cain (6-4) knocked in a run on a sacrifice bunt and earned the win despite yielding five runs on eight hits in 6 2/3 frames. Brian Wilson allowed the winning run to reach second base in the ninth before striking out Stephen Drew to close out the win.
Arizona's Josh Collmenter (4-2) surrendered more earned runs (five) in his seventh start of the season than he allowed in his first six (four). The rookie gave up eight hits and three walks in five innings.
"He wasn't able to locate," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of his starter. "They grinded him out a little bit."
San Francisco was coming off a four-game split against Cincinnati, while Arizona had won four of five to pull within a half-game of the NL West-leading Giants heading into this three-game set.
The Diamondbacks pulled within a run -- thanks in part to Miguel Montero's three-run homer -- but couldn't solve a Giants bullpen anchored by Wilson.
Kelly Johnson and Justin Upton each worked two-out walks against the closer, and a wild pitch moved each up a base. Wilson, however, got enough of the outside corner on a 1-2 slider to catch Drew looking at strike three and finish off his 19th save of the year.
The Giants opened the game with three straight singles, the last an RBI base hit to right from Pablo Sandoval in his first at-bat off the disabled list. The run was the first Collmenter allowed at home this season (20 1/3 innings).
Ross made an out to leave runners on the corners but was instrumental in the next four San Francisco runs. He led off the fourth with a double, moved to third on a Brandon Crawford single and scored on Cain's bunt.
The next inning, Ross doubled over the head of Gerardo Parra in left to knock in Sandoval and Aubrey Huff, then snuck in from third when Crawford avoided getting tug out between first and second on an attempted double steal with two outs.
Arizona lit the scoreboard in the bottom half when Ryan Roberts' flyout to left was enough to score Xavier Nady, who led off the inning with a double.
The hosts pulled within one, 5-4, on Montero's no-doubter to right in the sixth, and the teams traded runs in the seventh on RBI doubles by Nate Schierholtz and Upton.
"With the guys scoring five, six runs, I tried to keep making good pitches and I didn't do that the last couple innings," Cain admitted.
San Francisco leads the season series, 6-1...Cain had given up six earned runs in his previous five starts combined against Arizona...Sandoval, sidelined after undergoing surgery on his right hand in early May, went 1-for-4 in his first game back...Collmenter's earned-run average rose from 1.12 to 1.86.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Jun 15 12:55 AM
- Justin Upton doubled to left scored Sean Burroughs with two out. Runner on second and Stephen Drew due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 15 12:02 AM
- Nate Schierholtz doubled to center scored Aubrey Huff with one out, On the play, Nate Schierholtz advances to third on Chris Young's fielding error. Runner on third and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 14 11:51 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Stephen Drew and Chris Young. Xavier Nady due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 14 11:41 PM
- Ryan Roberts sacrifice fly out to left scored Xavier Nady with one out. Runner on first and Kelly Johnson due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 14 11:21 PM
- Cody Ross scores with two out. Brandon Crawford caught stealing second from catcher to second to first to short to end the inning.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 5Jun 14 11:11 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to left scored Pablo Sandoval and Aubrey Huff with two out. Runner on second and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 14 11:04 PM
- Matt Cain sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Cody Ross with two out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 14 10:37 PM
- Aubrey Huff reached on a fielder's choice, first to short. Pablo Sandoval out at second. Emmanuel Burriss advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 14 9:48 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 9:40 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21