Huff helps Giants down D-BacksJun 16, 2011 - 5:49 AM
Madison Bumgarner (3-8) picked up a well-deserved win in his 10th consecutive quality outing, allowing just five hits and one walk in six innings. His only mistakes were solo home run-balls to Willie Bloomquist and Chris Young.
"He's reeled off some real nice quality starts. His record isn't indicative of how he's doing," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of his starter. "It was good to get him a win."
Eli Whiteside aided San Francisco's third straight win by tripling in a run and scoring on a wild pitch for some insurance in the ninth.
Joe Saunders (3-7) took the loss after surrendering three runs on eight hits in his seven-inning start for Arizona, which had won three straight before dropping the first two in this three-game set.
San Francisco broke a 2-2 tie in the sixth when Huff reached on a one-out single, advanced to second after Pat Burrell walked and scored on Bill Hall's looping base hit to center.
Santiago Casilla pitched a scoreless seventh for the Giants, and Sergio Romo maintained the one-run advantage in the eighth with the help of a perfect relay throw.
With two outs and Kelly Johnson on first, Young doubled down the left-field line. Aaron Rowand played the ball perfectly out of the corner and got the relay throw to Miguel Tejada just as Johnson geared up for home. Tejada threw a strike to Whiteside at the plate to nab the runner and end the frame.
After Whiteside tacked on two in the top of the ninth, Brian Wilson put two on with two outs in the bottom half. Juan Miranda stepped in as a pinch-hitter representing the tying run and hit a grounder up the middle. Hall backhanded the ball and got the force out at second to cap Wilson's 20th save.
"You have to try to find the positive. We put ourselves in a position [to win] so we'll continue to fight," Young said.
Huff's two-out single plated Pablo Sandoval in the first inning, and Bloomquist tied it with a blast over the left-field wall in the third -- the first home run Bumgarner had allowed since April 17.
Cody Ross doubled leading off the fourth and scored when Burrell hit one off the left-field wall and got a generous bounce en route to a triple.
The Giants stranded Burrell on third, and Young led off the bottom half with his 13th home run of the season.
The Giants lead the season series 7-1...Burrell's triple was his first since July 31, 2009...Bumgarner had given up just two home runs in his first 13 starts. He owns a 9-1 career record when receiving three of more runs of support...Wilson is riding a 14 1/3 scoreless innings streak...Johnson, Young and Justin Upton each had two hits for Arizona.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Jun 16 12:36 AM
- Eli Whiteside scores on J.J. Putz's wild pitch. None on with two outs and Aaron Rowand at the plate.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 16 12:24 AM
- Eli Whiteside tripled to left center scored Bill Hall. Runner on third with one out and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 16 12:20 AM
- Bill Hall singled to center scored Aubrey Huff. On the play, Pat Burrell advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Eli Whiteside due up.
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 15 11:16 PM
- Chris Young lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Stephen Drew due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 15 10:48 PM
- Pat Burrell tripled to left scored Cody Ross. Runner on third with one out and Bill Hall due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 15 10:38 PM
- Willie Bloomquist one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Kelly Johnson due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 15 10:25 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to left scored Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 15 9:48 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 9:40 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21