Beltran, Ross power Giants past D-BacksSep 3, 2011 - 5:22 AM
Arizona entered Friday's contest on a nine-game winning streak and with a six- game lead in the division. But San Francisco cooled off the Diamondbacks to pull within five games, doing so thanks in large part to Beltran.
He went 4-for-4 with a triple, the homer and three runs batted in. It was his first four-hit game of the season, and his best game since the Giants acquired him from the Mets in July.
Beltran had totaled just one homer and 20 hits in his first 20 games with San Francisco, and spent time on the disabled list.
Cain (11-9) limited Arizona to two runs on five hits and four walks, while striking out three.
Diamondbacks starter Joe Saunders (9-12) allowed four runs in 5 1/3 innings to take the loss.
Miguel Montero doubled in a run during the first inning, but San Francisco took control in the third with a two-out rally.
Ross walked and scored on Jeff Keppinger's double off the wall in left, and Beltran followed with his 17th homer of the season. Saunders threw a 2-2 fastball down the middle of the plate, and Beltran hammered it into the left- center field seats.
Aaron Hill's sacrifice fly in the top of the fifth brought in Ryan Roberts, who had tripled, but Beltran got the run back in the bottom half with an RBI single.
Ross' blast gave the Giants some cushion. Sam Demel started the seventh and walked Cain to bring up Ross, who hit a nearly belt-high pitch over the left field wall.
Cain worked a 1-2-3 eighth, and Santiago Casilla worked the ninth to secure the win.
The Giants hold a 9-4 edge in the season series...Montero led Arizona with two hits...Arizona recalled catcher Robby Hammock from Triple-A Reno on Friday...The Giants recalled pitcher Waldis Joaquin and infielders Emmanuel Burriss, Brandon Crawford and Conor Gillaspie from Triple-A Fresno. They also recalled outfielder Darren Ford from Double-A Richmond.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Sep 3 12:53 AM
- Cody Ross none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Matt Cain. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 3 12:18 AM
- Carlos Beltran single to left scored Matt Cain with one out. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on first and third and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 2 11:45 PM
- Aaron Hill sacrifice fly to right scored Ryan Roberts with one out. None on and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 3 Top 5, 1 OutSep 2 11:29 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left scored Jeff Keppinger. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 11:09 PM
- Jeff Keppinger double to left scored Cody Ross with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 11:06 PM
- Chris Young walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 2 10:27 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 10:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21