Kennedy outduels Lincecum, D-Backs even seriesSep 4, 2011 - 6:49 AM
Kennedy (18-4), who leads the National League in victories, gave up a run on five hits and two walks, while striking out six. The Diamondbacks' offense supported him by scoring five runs in five-plus innings against Lincecum (12-12), San Francisco's ace.
Paul Goldschmidt homered and drove in two for Arizona, which restored its lead over the Giants in the NL West to six games. San Francisco had won the opener of this pivotal three-game series on Friday.
"These guys are the [defending] world champions, they're a great team," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of the Giants. "Their pitching is their strength. We know if we have aspirations to get into the postseason and go beyond, our pitching's going to have to stand up."
Carlos Beltran had three hits and Pablo Sandoval drove in two for the Giants, but they went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight.
The game was tied after Aaron Hill's RBI double and Sandoval's sacrifice fly in the third inning, but Goldschmidt delivered two key hits to put Arizona on top for good.
In the fourth, Lincecum threw a 2-0 fastball low and over the plate, and Goldschmidt belted it over the center field wall.
An inning later, Lincecum walked Justin Upton and Miguel Montero with two away to bring Goldschmidt to plate. The first baseman came through for the Diamondbacks again, slapping a single through the left side to make it a 3-1 game.
"I kind of got away from the game plan against a guy like Goldschmidt," Lincecum said. "He's the kind of guy you need to elevate the ball in on, and I just kept throwing it knee-high, where he can get to those kinds of balls."
Ryan Roberts and Gerardo Parra opened the sixth with consecutive doubles to add another run for Arizona, chasing Lincecum in the process. Guillermo Mota came in, but hit Willie Bloomquist and walked Hill with one out to load the bases, then walked Upton to force in a run.
The Giants had a chance to trim their deficit in the eighth, Jeff Keppinger and Beltran hit leadoff singles against David Hernandez. Sandoval came up and drove a ball to left field, but it stayed in the park and was caught.
The sacrifice fly plated Keppinger, but Beltran was thrown out by Parra trying to reach second, effectively ending the rally.
Chris Young and Roberts drove in runs in the ninth to complete the scoring.
Giants outfielder Pat Burrell left the game with a sore right foot...Goldschmidt has homered against Lincecum twice this season, also doing so on August 2. The rookie has hit six total homers...Kennedy has won three consecutive starts, giving up only two runs in 21 innings over the span...Lincecum has dropped consecutive starts, allowing 10 runs -- nine earned -- in 11-plus innings.
- ARIZONA: 7
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Sep 3 11:52 PM
- Bryan Shaw starts the inning for the Diamondbacks, batting 9th.
Diamondbacks 7, Giants 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 3 11:44 PM
- Chris Young grounded into a fielder's choice to third scored Justin Upton. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second and Miguel Montero out at third. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 2 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 3 11:40 PM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly to left scored Jeff Keppinger. On the play, Carlos Beltran was thrown out trying to advance to second. None on with two outs and Andres Torres due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Giants 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 3 11:30 PM
- Justin Upton's one-out, bases loaded walk scored Gerardo Parra. Bases loaded with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Giants 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 3 10:56 PM
- Gerardo Parra doubled to right scored Ryan Roberts. Runner on second with none out and Ian Kennedy due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 1 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 3 10:46 PM
- Chris Young flied out to left to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 1 Mid 5Sep 3 10:36 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 3 10:13 PM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly to center scored Cody Ross. Runner on second with two outs and Pat Burrell due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 3 10:04 PM
- Aaron Hill doubled to left scored Willie Bloomquist. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 3 9:52 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 9:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21