D-Backs take series with Giants, up lead to seven gamesSep 5, 2011 - 1:02 AM
Coming into the weekend series, the Diamondbacks were riding a nine-game winning streak and held a six-game lead over the Giants in the division.
Friday's loss broke the streak and set up a chance for San Francisco to make some headway in the division, but the Diamondbacks took Saturday's contest, and the win on Sunday moved the team seven games up.
"This obviously is a big series, nice to come out of here with winning two out of three," said Bloomquist. "But we go and play a very capable good Colorado team so we still have to play one game at a time, and still keep trying to figure out ways to win games and numbers will take care of themselves in the end so we've got to play good baseball."
Ryan Roberts hit a solo home run with one out in the eighth and Aaron Hill later singled home Bloomquist in the frame to give the Diamondbacks the win.
Daniel Hudson (15-9) won his third straight start as he pitched seven solid innings for Arizona, giving up just one run on three hits with a walk and five strikeouts. David Hernandez pitched a 1-2-3 eighth while J.J. Putz did the same in the ninth for his 36th save of the season.
Cody Ross' home run in the first inning accounted for the only run for the Giants, who have lost five of seven.
"It's not over till it's over, the old saying," said Ross. "We have to continue to go out there and keep fighting. We're not eliminated. Anything can happen. I saw the Phillies come back when they were down seven games with 17 to go so anything can happen."
Ryan Vogelsong (10-6) was cruising through his start until the eighth inning and wound up with the loss after giving up two runs on five hits in 7 1/3 frames. It was his fourth loss in as many starts despite giving up no more than three runs in any of those outings.
Ross led off the first with his 12th home run of the year to stake the Giants to a 1-0 lead, and that was it for offense over the next several innings.
The teams combined for just four baserunners in the first six innings, including the Giants stranding Carlos Beltran at third after he hit a two-out triple in the sixth.
The eighth, though, saw Robert hit a one-out shot to left, his 18th of the year, to tie the game. After Gerardo Parra singled, Jeremy Affeldt took over on the hill and promptly walked Geoff Blum.
Ramon Ramirez then took the mound and Bloomquist greeted him with a triple to give the Diamondbacks the lead. Aaron Hill then singled home Bloomquist for a 4-1 lead.
Hernandez got Jeff Keppinger to line out to end the eighth while Putz struck out Andres Torres to end the contest.
Arizona right fielder Justin Upton was ejected in the fourth inning by home plate umpire Brian Knight for arguing a called strike three...Arizona has taken just six of the 15 games against the Giants this season...The Giants play three games in San Diego starting on Monday...Arizona travels to Colorado for a three-game set beginning on Monday...Hudson is 4-2 in six career starts against the Giants.
- ARIZONA: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Sep 4 6:47 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to left scored Willie Bloomquist. Runner on first with one out and Collin Cowgill due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 4 6:23 PM
- Willie Bloomquist tripled to right scored Gerardo Parra and Geoff Blum. Runner on third with one out and Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 4 6:22 PM
- Ryan Roberts one-out, solo Home Run (18) to left. Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 4 6:13 PM
- Cody Ross lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 4 4:15 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 4:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21