Weeks, Boggs homer to propel Brewers past AstrosApr 24, 2011 - 9:51 PM
Wolf (3-2), who threw 12 2/3 scoreless innings over his previous two starts, lasted eight innings and allowed just four hits with no walks and four strikeouts to get the win in the rubber match of the three-game series.
"His command wasn't there the first couple of games, and then all of a sudden it got good," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Wolf, who allowed 12 runs in his first two starts. "When he is able to hit his spots, he's tough."
Wandy Rodriguez (1-3) surrendered four runs on 10 hits and three walks while fanning nine for the Astros, who have lost three of four overall. The lefty lasted seven innings and had two of Houston's five hits.
Wolf faced the minimum from the fourth through seventh innings to keep Houston off the board, though J.R. Towles got a hold of one in the eighth and sent it over the wall in left-center for a 4-1 game.
John Axford, whose likeness was portrayed on a bobblehead giveaway at Miller Park on Sunday, worked around a one-out single in the ninth to record his fourth save of the season.
Boggs blasted a towering shot in the second inning for his first home run since 2008, and Weeks followed suit with a round-tripper -- his fifth of the season -- to open a three-run third.
"It was a 3-1 count to Boggs, and I didn't want to walk him. He hit it a long way," said Rodriguez, who threw 126 pitches.
Prince Fielder tripled home Carlos Gomez later in the inning, then scored on Casey McGehee's base hit to left.
The Brewers, who have won four of six overall, begin a three-game home series against the Reds on Monday...Houston has a day off before hosting the Cardinals for three games...Fielder's triple was the ninth of his career...Ryan Braun went 1-for-4 and has reached base safely in all of Milwaukee's 21 games thus far...Gomez ended with three hits.
- HOUSTON: 1
Apr 24 4:47 PM
- J.R. Towles two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 24 4:23 PM
- Casey McGehee single to left scored Prince Fielder with one out. Runner on first and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 24 3:04 PM
- Prince Fielder triple to left scored Carlos Gomez with one out. Runner on third and Casey McGehee due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 24 3:03 PM
- Rickie Weeks lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Carlos Gomez due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 24 2:55 PM
- Brandon Boggs one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Wil Nieves due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 24 2:37 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 2:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21