Astros blow lead, beat Brewers in ninthMay 1, 2011 - 3:40 AM
Brandon Lyon (3-1) blew a save, but still earned the win when he allowed one run in one inning of relief as Houston snapped its three-game losing streak.
Kameron Loe (2-2) took the loss for the Brewers, who have lost five of their last nine.
Wandy Rodriguez blanked the Brewers through eight innings and allowed seven hits, no walks and struck out six.
"Wandy was absolutely outstanding. He was able to move everything around," Astros manager Brad Mills said of his starter. "He's going to start doing that as he moves along and gains confidence."
Rodriguez was denied a decision, though, when Lyon allowed a one-out, solo shot to right field by Prince Fielder in the bottom of the ninth that tied the game.
Milwaukee's Randy Wolf pitched well himself, going seven innings and allowing one run on four hits and was denied a fourth straight win. He walked two and struck out four.
Loe entered the game in the ninth and got two quick outs before getting himself into trouble. He allowed back-to-back walks to pinch-hitter Brett Wallace and Michael Bourn. Bill Hall then came in to pinch run for Wallace, who is ailing from a hip pointer that he received from a collision with Fielder on Friday. Bourgeois followed with a sharp grounder through the left side of the infield to bring home Hall for the victory.
"When we get it tied up or get it close, I feel real good about our team. But we haven't been finishing games," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Bourgeois scored from third on a throwing error by Yuniesky Betancourt in the first to give the Astros an early lead. Bourgeois hit a one-out single and then stole second and third before Hunter Pence hit a grounder that Betancourt threw well over Fielder's head.
The teams were a combined 1-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left 16 men on base...Wolf threw 65 of his 96 pitches for strikes while Rodriguez threw 75 of his 114 pitches for strikes.
- MILWAUKEE: 1
Apr 30 9:47 PM
- Jason Bourgeois singled to left scored Bill Hall wth two out to end the game .
Brewers 1, Astros 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 30 9:47 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 1 Top 9, 1 OutApr 30 9:32 PM
- Hunter Pence reached first on Yuniesky Betancourt's throwing error scoring Jason Bourgeois. Runners on second and third with one out and Carlos Lee due up.
Brewers 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 30 7:28 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21