Gallardo shuts down AstrosJul 31, 2011 - 6:56 AM
Gallardo (12-7) gave up one unearned run, struck out seven, did not issue a walk and chipped in offensively with a double and a run scored.
"I was able to get ahead. We're supposed to beat teams like this and this is the way we're supposed to play everyday," Gallardo said. "Every game is important from now on out."
Kameron Loe tossed a scoreless ninth to seal the win.
Corey Hart went 4-for-5 with a leadoff homer in the first inning and Jonathan Lucroy finished 3-for-4 with a two-run double for the NL Central leaders, who have won five consecutive games. Prince Fielder belted a homer 475 feet as part of a 3-for-4 performance.
J.D. Martinez ripped an RBI double in his first major league at-bat, a pinch- hit situation in the eighth inning for Houston. Angel Sanchez collected an RBI single for the Astros, who have lost seven of their last nine games.
J.A. Happ (4-13) gave up five runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits over five frames to absorb the loss.
It marked the first game the Astros played without right fielder Hunter Pence, who was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies for four prospects Friday night.
The Brewers wasted no time taking the lead, as Hart blasted a fastball from Happ over the wall in right to lead off the first. It was his 14th homer of the season, and Milwaukee rolled from there.
In the third, Gallardo led off by ripping a double and Hart singled to give the Brewers runners on the corners with no outs. Nyjer Morgan followed with a single to right to score Gallardo for a 2-0 advantage. The Brewers had a chance to extend the lead further but Happ settled down to strikeout Ryan Braun for the first out of the inning. After Fielder reached on an error by Matt Downs, Happ fanned Filipe Lopez and got Casey McGehee to line out to limit the damage.
Milwaukee added three runs in the fifth to make it 5-0. Braun reached on a fielding error by Sanchez and Fielder singled up the middle to give the Brewers runners on first and third with no outs. After Lopez fanned, McGehee lofted a sacrifice fly to plate Braun. Yuniesky Betancourt followed with a single and Lucroy ripped a two-run double, but was thrown out at third to end the inning.
Jose Altuve led off the sixth for Houston with an infield single and advanced to second on a throwing error by Betancourt. After Michael Bourn fanned, Sanchez laced an RBI single to make it a 5-1 game.
The Brewers added another run in the seventh on Fielder's moonshot into the second deck for a 6-1 lead.
Humberto Quintero led off the Astros eighth inning with a single to center and was chased home on an RBI double by Martinez to pull the Astros within four.
"It was definitely exciting," Martinez said. "You go up there to the plate and my mind was just, 'Hit something hard. Don't embarrass yourself.' I got lucky that he left a fastball middle-away, and I was able to put a good swing on it. My eyes just lit up on it."
The Brewers are 5-0 on their current nine-game homestand, and are 38-14 at home this season...Houston leads the all-time series by a 117-95 count...Houston is 18-36 on the road this season...Milwaukee is 25-17 against its own division, while Houston is 17-33 against the National League Central...It was Hart's fourth career leadoff home run...It was Fielder's 24th homer of 2011.
- HOUSTON: 2
Jul 30 10:02 PM
- Michael Bourn flied out to right. Runner on second with one out and Angel Sanchez due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 6 Top 8, 1 OutJul 30 9:34 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, solo Home Run (24) to right. Felipe Lopez due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 9:22 PM
- Angel Sanchez singled to center scored Jose Altuve. Runner on first with one out and Jason Bourgeois due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 30 8:58 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy doubled to left scored Prince Fielder and Yuniesky Betancourt, Lucroy thrown out at third, left to short to third, to end the inning.
Astros 0, Brewers 5 End 5Jul 30 8:55 PM
- Casey McGehee sacrifice fly out to right scored Ryan Braun. Runner on first with two outs and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 8:46 PM
- Nyjer Morgan singled to right scored Yovani Gallardo. On the play, Corey Hart advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ryan Braun due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 30 8:00 PM
- Nyjer Morgan grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Ryan Braun due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:23 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21