Marcum helps Brewers sweep AstrosSep 4, 2011 - 11:41 PM
Marcum (12-5) walked one and struck out eight while Ryan Braun hit a solo home run and drove in three for the Brewers, who were swept by St. Louis prior to this series and now travel to St. Louis for a three-game set starting on Monday.
Milwaukee moved its lead over St. Louis in the NL Central to 9 1/2 games with the win and the Cardinals' loss to the Reds in 10 innings.
"The guys know they have to play better than the last time we faced them," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke about the upcoming series. "We know we can't play an average game and hope for the best, we have to play well."
Wandy Rodriguez (10-10) pitched six innings and gave up three runs on six hits with three walks and eight strikeouts for the Astros, who had won four straight coming into the series. Brian Bogusevic's double was the lone extra- base hit for Houston.
"I was trying to keep the ball off the plate and use movement out there," said Rodriguez. "It worked sometimes, but when I didn't they hit it."
Braun gave Milwaukee the only run it needed in the first with his 26th home run of the season.
Jonathan Lucroy's two-out solo shot in the second, his 11th of the season, made it a 2-0 game.
The fifth inning saw Braun draw a bases-loaded walk to force in a run, but Prince Fielder grounded out to end the frame.
Braun's RBI single to right in the seventh scored Jerry Hairston Jr. and made it a 4-0 game.
Marcum, meanwhile, had a no-hitter going into the sixth inning and struck out Jose Altuve to start the frame, but Jordan Schafer followed with a single. Marcum got the next two batters out and pitched a 1-2-3 seventh before stepping off the hill.
Rodriguez walked J.B. Shuck with one out and Jason Bourgeois followed with a single, but he got the next two batters out to keep the shutout going.
Saito worked around Bogusevic's one-out double in the ninth to cap the win.
Milwaukee has won 12 of the 15 games with Houston this season...The Astros hit the road for the next six games starting with a three-game set in Pittsburgh on Monday...Milwaukee right fielder Corey Hart went 1-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 16 games.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Sep 4 4:57 PM
- Ryan Braun single to right scored Jerry Hairston Jr. Runner on first with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 4 4:06 PM
- Ryan Braun walked. Shaun Marcum scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 3, Astros 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 4 3:30 PM
- Carlos Gomez struck out swinging to end the inning.
Brewers 2, Astros 0 Mid 2Sep 4 2:26 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (26) to left center. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 4 2:11 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 2:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21