D-Backs beat Cubs, avoid sweepApr 7, 2011 - 12:25 AM
Miguel Montero homered while Willie Bloomquist added two hits and an RBI for the Diamondbacks, who avoided a sweep.
"You pretty much want to go out there and play good baseball no matter where it is or what time of year," said Young, whose club begins a nine-game homestand on Friday against Cincinnati. "You need to get wins to back up the effort, especially since we're getting ready to go home and see the fans at our home opener."
Armando Galarraga (1-0) picked up the win in his National League debut despite yielding five hits and four runs over seven-plus innings. J.J. Putz turned in a scoreless ninth for his second save.
Aramis Ramirez slugged a two-run shot and Alfonso Soriano added a solo homer for the Cubs, who had a two-game win streak snapped.
Ryan Dempster (0-2) was dented in defeat for 10 hits and five runs -- four earned -- in seven frames.
The D-Backs moved ahead for good with a three-run fifth inning.
Gerardo Parra started the frame with a double, and came home two batters later on a single from Bloomquist to give Arizona a 3-2 edge. Young followed with a run-scoring double and Kyle Johnson's two-base hit plated Young for a 5-2 contest.
Soriano led off the home seventh with a home run, but Montero added his own solo shot with one down in the eighth to restore the three-run lead for the visitors.
In the home eighth, Tyler Colvin's groundout with the bases loaded cut the Cubs deficit to 6-4, but Soriano fanned swinging with two men in scoring position to end the threat.
Putz set down the side in order in the ninth.
"We played well. (This loss) was not a negative at all," said Chicago outfielder Marlon Byrd. You want to start the season and play well, but now it's time to go on the road."
Young's two-run triple in the second was countered by a two-run blast from Ramirez in the fourth.
Parra finished with a game-high three hits...Arizona won for just the second time in its last 10 games against Chicago, having dropped six of seven to the Cubs a season ago...Galarraga, infamously robbed of a perfect game with Detroit on June 2, finished 4-9 with a 4.49 ERA in 25 games (24 starts) with the Tigers last season, and was 23-26 in four American League campaigns with Texas and Detroit.
- ARIZONA: 6
Apr 6 4:47 PM
- Tyler Colvin grounded out first to pitcher scored Starlin Castro. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 6 4:29 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Melvin Mora due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Cubs 3 Top 8, 1 OutApr 6 4:13 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Geovany Soto due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Cubs 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 6 4:07 PM
- Justin Upton grounded out short to first. Runner on second with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Cubs 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 6 3:35 PM
- Chris Young doubled to left scored Willie Bloomquist, advances to third on Geovany Soto's error. Runner on third with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Cubs 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 6 3:33 PM
- Willie Bloomquist singled to center scored Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with one out and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Cubs 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 6 3:28 PM
- Aramis Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Marlon Byrd. Tyler Colvin due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 6 3:17 PM
- Chris Young tripled to center scored Willie Bloomquist, advances to home on Alfonso Soriano's fielding error. None on with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 6 2:52 PM
- Willie Bloomquist grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Chris Young due up.
Apr 6 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21