McGehee comes through in a pinch as Brewers edge CubsApr 10, 2011 - 10:02 PM
Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun also slugged a two-run shot each for the Brewers, who won the final two games in the series.
Kameron Loe (1-0) worked 1 2/3 scoreless relief innings for the win, and John Axford worked a scoreless ninth to earn his third save.
Aramis Ramirez finished 3-for-5 and drove in three runs for the Cubs, who have dropped three of four.
Kerry Wood (0-1) took the loss and a blown save, charged with the deciding runs in the eighth.
The former fireballer walked Yuniesky Betancourt to begin the Milwaukee eighth, then Craig Counsell sacrificed him to second. After George Kottaras struck out, McGehee -- taking Loe's spot in the order -- ripped a shot over the wall in right to give the Brewers a 6-5 edge.
Axford allowed a leadoff single to Marlon Byrd in the ninth, but he was caught stealing second. Ramirez fanned and Carlos Pena flied out to end the contest.
Ramirez stroked a two-run double in the Cubs' first turn at the plate, but Fielder countered with a two-run shot in the home half.
Darwin Barney's RBI single in the second put Chicago back on top and Ramirez hit an RBI double in the third, but Braun's two-run homer in the last of the third evened the game again.
Tyler Colvin's grounder with the bases loaded in the seventh plated Byrd with Chicago's go-ahead run.
Milwaukee begins a nine-game road swing in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, while the Cubs start a six-game sojourn on Monday in Houston...Byrd finished 2-for-3 with a double, two walks and scored three times in defeat...Kottaras collected two hits and Carlos Gomez scored twice for the Brewers.
- CHICAGO: 5
Apr 10 5:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Casey McGehee two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Yuniesky Betancourt. Rickie Weeks due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 10 5:01 PM
- Tyler Colvin grounded out to first scoring Marlon Byrd. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 5, Brewers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 10 4:31 PM
- Ryan Braun none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Carlos Gomez. Prince Fielder due up.
Cubs 4, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 10 3:13 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to right center scoring Marlon Byrd. Runner on second with none out and Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 4, Brewers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 10 3:03 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scoring Tyler Colvin. Runner on first with none out and Casey Coleman due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 2 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 10 2:44 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Carlos Gomez. Mark Kotsay due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 10 2:36 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to left scoring Starlin Castro and Marlon Byrd. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 10 2:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 10 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21