Soriano homers twice, Cubs top D-BacksApr 30, 2011 - 5:54 AM
Carlos Zambrano (3-1) continued his amazing success on the road, winning his ninth consecutive such start. The big right-hander allowed four hits and two runs in six innings as the Cubs snapped a four-game skid.
Geovany Soto also went deep for Chicago in the second installment of this four-game series.
Justin Upton hit a two-run homer in the first inning for the Diamondbacks, who had won three of their previous four games.
Galarraga (3-2) yielded six hits over seven innings. His first pitch of the seventh inning was deposited over the right field wall by Soriano.
"I'm coming everyday to the ballpark happy," Soriano said. "As long as I'm in the lineup, I'm fine."
Gerardo Parra singled off Kerry Wood to start the bottom of the frame and made it to second with two outs following a wild pitch. Kelly Johnson fanned to end the threat.
Darwin Barney tripled off Esmerling Vasquez to begin the eighth. Starlin Castro was hit by a pitch and then Aramis Ramirez beat out a potential double play grounder to score Chicago's fourth run.
Arizona put two runners on base in the bottom of the eighth, but Sean Marshall froze Russell Branyan on a third strike to send it to the ninth.
Carlos Marmol retired the side in order in the ninth for his sixth save of 2011.
Upton, who was hit by a pitch twice in Thursday's 11-2 triumph, crushed a 440- foot homer to left field in the first inning. The hit scored Chris Young, who led off with a walk.
"We got two runs early, but we didn't tack on," Upton said.
Soriano and Soto hit back-to-back homers to start the fifth inning.
Zambrano had a 10-game road winning streak, spanning the 2005-2006 campaigns that is tied for the second-longest run by a Cub. Guy Bush holds the franchise mark since 1919 with a 13-game road winning streak as a starter, spanning the 1928-29 seasons...The Cubs have won nine of the last 11 meetings...Zambrano has won all three of his road starts this year.
- CHICAGO: 4
Apr 30 12:14 AM
- Jeff Baker singled to left. Runners on first and second with one out and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 29 11:44 PM
- Geovany Soto grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Carlos Zambrano due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 29 11:25 PM
- Geovany Soto Home Run (2) to left center. Carlos Zambrano due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 29 10:51 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (8) to left center. Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 29 10:48 PM
- Justin Upton one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Chris Young. Stephen Drew due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 29 9:50 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 9:40 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21