Cubs blank Brewers in series openerJun 14, 2011 - 4:49 AM
Starlin Castro collected a pair of hits while Carlos Pena ripped a double for Chicago, which snapped a three-game skid.
Jeff Samardzija (4-2) tossed a perfect eighth in relief of Dempster to pick up the win, while Carlos Marmol mowed down the heart of the Brewers' order in the ninth to seal his 13th save of the season.
Yuniesky Betancourt and starter Randy Wolf smacked doubles for Milwaukee, which saw its three-game winning streak snapped.
Wolf certainly pitched well enough to win, going seven innings, striking out seven, only to receive a no-decision.
"I felt strong to where [one run] might have been enough, but we were obviously kept off balance and couldn't score," Wolf said.
The game remained locked at zero all the way until the eighth inning, when the Cubs finally broke through against Brewers reliever Kameron Loe (2-6).
Barney laced a one-out single to left and pinch-hitter Pena doubled to left to give the Cubs runners on second and third. Aramis Ramirez followed with a fielder's choice ground ball and Barney beat the throw home thanks to aggressive base running, giving the Cubs the only run of the game.
"[Barney] got a great jump and it was a great slide; a huge play," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
Chicago threatened in the seventh, putting runners on first and second with one out on singles by Lou Montanez and D.J. LeMahieu. Chicago wasted the opportunity however, as Tony Campana and pinch-hitter Blake DeWitt flew out to end the inning.
Milwaukee was unable to mount any offensive threats against Dempster, as the Brewers managed only four hits and stuck out seven times. Milwaukee has been shut out six times this season.
Prior to Monday's game, the Cubs placed Kerry Wood on the 15-day DL and activated Jeff Baker, who started the game in right field...Entering Monday, Cubs leadoff hitters own a league-best .401 on-base percentage....Milwaukee is 13-20 on the road this season, and 8-6 in its last 14 road games... Barney leads all rookies in batting average, with a .294 mark...Milwaukee is 16-14 against Central division opponents while Chicago is just 9-21 against the Central.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Jun 13 10:37 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded into a fielder's choice scoring Darwin Barney with one out. Runners on first and second and Geovany Soto due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 13 10:23 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 8:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21