Castro caps comeback in 10th as Cubs beat BrewersJun 15, 2011 - 5:57 AM
Jeff Samardzija (5-2) pitched a scoreless 10th inning for the win. Starter Randy Wells went six innings, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on eight hits and three walks for the Cubs, winners of two straight after a three-game losing streak.
Tim Dillard (1-1) took the loss for Milwaukee despite a strong outing by Yovani Gallardo. Gallardo allowed one run on three hits and two walks through seven innings. He also fanned 10 for the Brewers, who entered the series coming off a three-game sweep of St. Louis.
Tony Campana doubled to lead off the 10th and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Kosuke Fukudome before Castro sent a ball into the right-center field gap to bring in Campana and end the game.
"He's one of the best hitters on our team. That's the kind of guy you want at the plate in that situation and he came through," Campana said about Castro.
The Brewers had their chances to take control of the game in the ninth and 10th innings as both times they had a runner reach second with one out.
Casey McGehee hit a one-out single in the ninth and was replaced by pinch- runner Carlos Gomez. Gomez promptly stole second, but Carlos Marmol fanned Corey Hart and got Yuniesky Betancourt to ground out to third to end the threat.
The 10th inning saw Josh Wilson reach first on a fielder's choice and steal second. But Milwaukee failed to take advantage of the situation again as Samardzija induced a Rickie Weeks flyout and a Nyjer Morgan groundout to end the inning.
The Brewers struck first in the third after Weeks led off the inning with a single and was followed by a Morgan bunt single that included a Randy Wells throwing error, allowing the runners to reach second and third. Ryan Braun then singled in Weeks before Prince Fielder walked to load the bases.
McGehee then grounded into a fielder's choice, scoring Morgan, and Hart walked to load the bases a second time. But Betancourt popped out to first and Jonathan Lucroy lined out to left to end the inning and keep it a 2-0 game.
The Brewers added to their lead in the fourth after loading the bases with one out. Gallardo walked, Morgan singled and Braun reached first on Jeff Baker`s throwing error to fill the bags. Fielder then launched a sacrifice fly to deep left field to give Milwaukee a three-run lead. A McGehee groundout ended the inning.
"We had runners on base all game. I know it came down to the bullpen and how they threw, but that game we should have blown open early," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
The Cubs got on the board in the seventh with a home run by Geovany Soto to make the score 3-1.
But Milwaukee got that run back in the eighth on a Weeks double that scored Lucroy.
Chicago answered right back in their half of the eighth off of reliever Marco Estrada. Fukudome hit a one-out, ground-rule double and Castro followed with a double of his own to bring in Fukudome. Aramis Ramirez then smacked a two-run homer into left to tie the game at four.
Before the game, Chicago activated outfielder Reed Johnson from the 15-day disabled list, optioned pitcher Casey Coleman and outfielder Tyler Colvin to Triple-A Iowa and selected the contract of pitcher Chris Carpenter from Double-A Tennessee...The Brewers fell to 13-21 on the road this season and 15-13 in one-run games...Cubs manager Mike Quade was ejected in the ninth inning for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Alfonso Marquez...The Brewers finished 2-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 13 men on base.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Jun 14 11:30 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to right scored Tony Campana with one out to end the game.
Brewers 4, Cubs 5 Bot 10, 1 OutJun 14 11:28 PM
- Aramis Ramirez one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Starlin Castro. Carlos Pena due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 14 10:42 PM
- Starlin Castro doubled to center scored Kosuke Fukudome. Runner on second with one out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 2 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 14 10:41 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to left scored Jonathan Lucroy. Runner on second with one out and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 14 10:29 PM
- Geovany Soto one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Jeff Baker due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 1 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 14 10:15 PM
- Prince Fielder sacrifice fly out to left scored Yovani Gallardo. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 14 9:16 PM
- Corey Hart walked. Bases loaded with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 14 8:50 PM
- Ryan Braun singled to left scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 14 8:44 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 8:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21