Brewers outlast rain, CubsJun 16, 2011 - 5:22 AM
Casey McGehee, Corey Hart, Yuniesky Betancourt and Jonathan Lucroy each drove in two runs and Prince Fielder scored three times for the Brewers, who snapped a two-game skid. Chris Narveson (4-4) picked up the win, surrendering four runs on five hits with five strikeouts and three walks over 5 1/3 frames.
Reed Johnson drilled a three-run home run for Chicago, which saw its two-game winning streak come to an end. Carlos Zambrano (5-4) sat through a 1-hour, 42- minute rain delay only to give up five runs on nine hits with two walks and six strikeouts over six frames.
After the lengthy rain delay, the Cubs struck first in the bottom of the first with Jeff Baker's second home run of the season, a chin-high fastball tomahawked over the ivy wall in left-center field.
The Brewers were stymied under the fourth, as Ryan Braun doubled to start the proceedings then Fielder walked. After a force out off the bat of McGehee, Hart slapped a run-scoring single to right. Lucroy drove in a two-out run with a single to left, scoring McGehee from third.
Milwaukee added a three-spot in the fifth, and the damage began with two outs. Braun doubled to left in front of Fielder's intentional walk, as the Cubs decided to pitch to McGehee. He made them pay with a two-run double that rolled to the base of the ivy in center field. Hart followed with a run- scoring two-bagger for a 5-1 lead.
"Whenever they walk Prince, when he comes through with a big hit like that, it boosts his (McGehee's) confidence," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke.
The Cubs answered with three runs of their own in the home half of the frame. Back-to-back walks, the first to the pitcher Zambrano, set the stage for Johnson, who turned on an inside pitch, driving it into the last row of stands in left for a three-run shot and a 5-4 game.
The visitors didn't take their foot off the gas, adding to what had become a slim edge in the seventh and eighth frames. Yuniesky Betancourt's two-out single to center plated Braun and Fielder in the seventh then Weeks slammed a solo home run onto Waveland Avenue out of the ballpark in left during the eighth.
DJ LeMahieu's single plated Blake DeWitt in the home eighth, but Milwaukee again built a four-run edge in the top of the ninth on Lucroy's sacrifice fly.
Braun finished 3-for-5 with two doubles and three runs scored...Hart also finished with three hits...DeWitt and LeMahieu each finished with a pair of hits for the Cubs...Johnson's home run was his third of the season...Weeks clubbed his 13th long ball of the campaign.
- MILWAUKEE: 9
Jun 16 12:49 AM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly to center scored Prince Fielder with two out. On the play, Corey Hart advanced to second and Casey McGehee advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Kameron Loe due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 16 12:35 AM
- DJ LeMahieu single to center scored Blake DeWitt with one out. Runner on first and John Grabow due up.
Brewers 8, Cubs 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 16 12:23 AM
- Rickie Weeks one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 8, Cubs 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 16 12:13 AM
- Yuniesky Betancourt single to center scored Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder with two out. On the play, Corey Hart advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 15 11:57 PM
- Reed Johnson none-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Carlos Zambrano and Starlin Castro. Jeff Baker due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 15 11:15 PM
- Corey Hart double to left scored Casey McGehee with two out. Runner on second and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 15 11:07 PM
- Casey McGehee double to center scored Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder with two out. On the play, Casey McGehee advanced to third on the throw home. Runner on third and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 15 11:05 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to left scored Casey McGehee with two out. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Narveson due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 15 10:47 PM
- Corey Hart single to right scored Ryan Braun with one out. On the play, Casey McGehee advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 15 10:43 PM
- Jeff Baker two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 15 10:04 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 9:47 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21