Brewers sweep CubsJul 28, 2011 - 11:12 PM
Braun went 3-for-4 with two runs scored for the Brewers, who swept Chicago for the first time since taking all three games of a series on May 3-5, 2005 at home.
Yuniesky Betancourt and Casey McGehee each added an RBI for Milwaukee, which placed All-Star second baseman Rickie Weeks on the 15-day disabled list with a severely sprained left ankle on Thursday.
Shaun Marcum (10-3) gave up two runs on seven hits over six innings to pick up the win. He struck out four and walked one.
Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano had an RBI apiece for the Cubs, who have dropped three straight since a three-game winning streak.
Chicago starter Randy Wells (2-4) allowed four runs on eight hits over six full frames to suffer the loss.
"The series was all about our lack of offense," Cubs manager Mike Quade said. "We have to get hits with runners in scoring position."
The Cubs jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning. Tony Campana led off with an infield single, moved to second on Marcum's throwing error, stole third and scored on Ramirez's sacrifice fly to right.
Milwaukee promptly responded with two runs in the home first to take the lead. With one out, Nyjer Morgan and Braun singled, and Prince Fielder walked to load the bases. McGehee's sacrifice fly and Betancourt's RBI double made it a 2-1 game. Fielder also tried to score on Betancourt's hit to left but was thrown out at the plate.
"Coming back to score in the first was huge," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "That put a little damper on the other side."
Braun's solo homer to right in the third increased the Brewers' lead.
Milwaukee tacked on another run in the fifth. Morgan hit a one-out single and scored on Braun's double to center for a 4-1 lead.
Chicago got a run back in the sixth. Carlos Pena led off with a double and crossed the plate on Soriano's two-out double.
LaTroy Hawkins and Francisco Rodriguez each tossed a scoreless inning of relief. John Axford pitched a perfect ninth to pick up his 30th save of the season.
Milwaukee owns a 6-4 edge in the season series with the Cubs...Weeks was hurt during Wednesday's game against the Cubs while legging out an infield hit. Milwaukee recalled infielder Eric Farris from Triple-A Nashville to fill the vacant roster spot...Chicago shipped outfielder Kosuke Fukudome to the Cleveland Indians for a pair of minor leaguers Thursday. The Cubs also recalled outfielder Tyler Colvin from Triple-A Iowa.
- CHICAGO: 2
Jul 28 5:03 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double to left scored Carlos Pena. Runner on second with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 28 4:05 PM
- Ryan Braun double to center scored Nyjer Morgan. Runner on second with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 28 3:49 PM
- Casey McGehee struck out looking to end the inning.
Cubs 1, Brewers 3 End 3Jul 28 3:18 PM
- Geovany Soto singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 2 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 28 2:39 PM
- Aramis Ramirez sacrifice fly to right scored Tony Campana. None on with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 2:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21