Hart pumps life into Brewers' win over CubsAug 28, 2011 - 2:56 AM
Prince Fielder and Hart hit solo homers for the Brewers, who have won the first two games of this three-game series. Casey McGehee hit a two-run homer.
Gallardo (15-8) gave up one unearned run on six hits over seven innings in the victory. He struck out 10 and walked two.
"The 15 wins does give me a little more personal pride," Gallardo said. "Each year you try to get a little bit better."
Alfonso Soriano went 2-for-4 with four RBI for the Cubs, who have lost three in a row and six of seven overall.
Chicago starter Ryan Dempster (10-10) was charged with five runs on seven hits over four innings. He fell to 15-5 in 47 career appearances -- 25 starts -- against the Brewers.
"I just didn't do a very good job of executing some pitches," Dempster said.
The Brewers jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. Hart led off the bottom of the first inning with a double to center. Two batters later, Ryan Braun knocked in Hart with a double to left. McGehee then hit a two-out homer to left.
Chicago got on the board in the second. Carlos Pena reached first on Gallardo's throwing error and moved to second on Tyler Colvin's single. With one out, Soriano hit an RBI single to left.
Milwaukee got the run back in the home second on Hart's RBI triple. With a runner on second and two outs, Hart hit a deep fly ball to center. Marlon Byrd misplayed the ball and Hart ended up at third.
Fielder's solo homer to right-center field in the third made it a 5-1 game.
The Cubs had a chance to get back in the game in the seventh, loading the bases with two outs. But Darwin Barney struck out swinging to end the threat.
Hart's solo homer in the home seventh made it a five-run game.
Chicago made things interesting with a three-run eighth. LaTroy Hawkins loaded the bases with one out, and Soriano cleared the bases with a double to left. Francisco Rodriguez recorded the final two outs of the inning to keep it a 6-4 game.
John Axford pitched a perfect ninth to record his 39th save of the season.
Milwaukee is 8-4 against the Cubs this season and has won seven in a row over Chicago at Miller Park...The Brewers are 49-16 at Miller Park this season, which marks the best home record in the majors...Gallardo improved to 4-1 in 10 lifetime games against the Cubs. The righty is 9-1 in 13 home starts this season...The Brewers have won 26 of their last 31 games overall...Chicago's Aramis Ramirez went 2-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 16 games...Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro extended his hitting streak to 11 games...Milwaukee selected the contract of third baseman Taylor Green from Triple-A Nashville and optioned reliever Tim Dillard to Nashville.
- CHICAGO: 4
Aug 27 10:01 PM
- Alfonso Soriano stole third. Runner on third with one out and Geovany Soto at the plate.
Cubs 4, Brewers 6 Top 8, 1 OutAug 27 9:45 PM
- Corey Hart one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Nyjer Morgan due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 27 9:22 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, solo Home Run (29) to center. Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 27 8:08 PM
- Corey Hart triple to center scored Jonathan Lucroy with two out. Runner on third and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 27 7:52 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to left scored Carlos Pena with one out. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to second. Runners on first and second and Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 3 Top 2, 1 OutAug 27 7:39 PM
- Casey McGehee two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Ryan Braun. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 27 7:29 PM
- Ryan Braun double to left scored Corey Hart with one out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 27 7:23 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 7:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21