Wolf fans 10, Brewers down PiratesApr 15, 2011 - 6:54 AM
This series was supposed to go three games, but Tuesday's contest was rained out and will be made up on August 22.
Wolf (1-2) pitched 6 2/3 innings and walked two in the victory. Yuniesky Betancourt, Prince Fielder and Nyjer Morgan each had an RBI for the Brewers, who have won four straight and seven of eight.
"I think it goes back to that cutter, I had later action today -- and I was able to put it into the zone where it's a little bit above the belt, where it's hard for a hitter to get to," Wolf said.
Paul Maholm (0-2) gave up two runs on four hits and three walks, and struck out six in seven innings for the Pirates, who have lost their last four games. Andrew McCutchen scored Pittsburgh's lone run on a wild pitch in the ninth inning.
Milwaukee plated two runs in the first inning to get all the runs it needed. Rickie Weeks led off with a single and Ryan Braun walked two batters later. Fielder followed with a single to right to score Weeks and, after Casey McGehee loaded the bases with a walk, Betancourt lofted a sac fly to score Braun.
Pittsburgh had only one runner reach second through the first five innings, but threatened in the sixth when Neil Walker hit a one-out double. However, Wolf got McCutchen to fly out and Matt Diaz to strike out.
The Brewers made it a 4-0 game in the ninth. A ground-rule double by McGehee was followed by an infield single from Betancourt that saw Walker's throwing error that allowed McGehee to score. Morgan then doubled home Betancourt.
John Axford loaded the bases in the ninth and a wild pitch allowed McCutchen to score and make it a three-run game. However, Josh Rodriguez struck out to end the game.
"You just got to keep playing the game," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
Pittsburgh hits the road and starts a four-game set in Cincinnati on Friday...Milwaukee begins a three-game series in Washington on Friday...The Brewers took 13 of 18 from the Pirates last season...Pittsburgh batted 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven men on base.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Apr 14 9:58 PM
- Nyjer Morgan doubled to right scoring Yuniesky Betancourt. Morgan out at third, right fielder to second to third to short. None on with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 4, Pirates 0 Top 9, 1 OutApr 14 9:39 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt sacrifice fly out to left scored Ryan Braun. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Erick Almonte due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 14 7:20 PM
- Prince Fielder singled to right scored Rickie Weeks. Runners on first and third with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 14 7:15 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 7:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21