Brewers use big inning to rout PiratesMay 15, 2011 - 12:22 AM
Fielder finished 2-for-4 with two RBI, while Casey McGehee hit a two-run double during a five-run seventh the Brewers used to take control. The win is their fifth in seven games and sets up an opportunity for a series sweep on Sunday.
"I don't know why that is. When you keep having success against someone, it just keeps feeding off itself," Fielder said of the Brewers' 32-3 record against the Pirates at home since 2007. "Hopefully, we can win tomorrow to keep it up."
Milwaukee starter Chris Narveson (2-3) held the Pirates to one run on four hits and four walks in six innings to take the victory.
"The other games he cruised along for a while, then he's had a bad inning to set things back," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke of his starter. "Three of these losses have been because of one inning. I think he's really pitched well, and I don't think his record shows how well he's done."
Pittsburgh's Jeff Karstens (2-2) took the loss after allowing two runs in five innings, though the Pirates bullpen surrendered most of the Brewers' 12 hits.
Lyle Overbay homered for Pittsburgh, which has dropped four straight overall and eight in a row at Miller Park.
Fielder put the Brewers on the board in the fourth inning, which he began by blasting a 1-1 curveball to right field for his ninth homer of the season. Boggs homered later in the inning to make it a 2-0 game.
Jose Tabata's sacrifice fly in the fifth inning got a run back for the Pirates, but the Brewers surged ahead in the seventh.
Corey Hart opened the inning with a pinch-hit double, and Rickie Weeks followed by grounding to short. Ronny Cedeno tried to erase Hart, but a missed catch by third baseman Pedro Alvarez left both runners safe and at the corners.
After Joe Beimel entered to pitch, Craig Counsell plated a run with a sacrifice bunt that left him safe at first. Beimel walked Braun to load the bases for Fielder, who lined an RBI single to right.
"He (Hart) still hasn't touched home plate," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of the controversial sac bunt.
Trying to stop the rally, the Pirates brought in Jose Veras. But he gave up a two-run double to McGehee that made it a 6-1 game. Jonathan Lucroy's RBI single capped Milwaukee's rally.
"It's a game of adversity at times," Hurdle added. "We had a few breaks that didn't go our way today. Everything was magnified in that one inning."
Lyle Overbay opened the top of the eighth with a homer off Mitch Stetter, but the Pirates were too far behind to catch up. Braun blasted a solo shot in the home half.
Fielder's homer was also his 500th career run scored...On Saturday, the Brewers placed pitcher Brandon Kintzler on the 15-day disabled list and selected the contract of pitcher Tim Dillard from Triple-A Nashville.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
May 14 7:32 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, solo Home Run (11) to right center. Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 8 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 14 7:19 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 7 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 14 7:01 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to left scored Prince Fielder with one out. On the play, Brandon Boggs advances to second and Casey McGehee advances to third. Bases loaded and Corey Hart due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 7 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 14 6:49 PM
- Mark Kotsay flied out to left. Runners on second and third with one out and Brandon Boggs due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 14 6:45 PM
- Prince Fielder single to right scored Rickie Weeks with none out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second and Craig Counsell advances to third. Bases loaded and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 14 6:38 PM
- Craig Counsell sacrifice bunt scored Corey Hart with none out. On the play, Craig Counsell reaches first on fielders choice. Rickie Weeks advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ryan Braun due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 14 6:35 PM
- Jose Tabata sacrifice fly out to right scored Ronny Cedeno with two out. Runner on first and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 14 5:29 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy struck out swinging to end the inning.
Pirates 0, Brewers 2 End 4May 14 5:21 PM
- Prince Fielder lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 14 5:15 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 14 4:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21