Braun, Lucroy carry Brewers to sweep of PiratesMay 15, 2011 - 9:57 PM
Zack Greinke (2-1) earned the win despite allowing five runs on six hits and a walk in five innings. He also struck out five in the Brewers' sixth win in eight games.
Kevin Correia (5-4) took the loss in four innings of work, allowing six runs on eight hits and two walks in the Pirates' fifth consecutive loss.
Braun hit a three-run home run in the first inning and Casey McGehee followed two batters later with a solo shot to straightaway center field to give the Brewers an early four-run advantage.
Carlos Gomez worked a two-out walk and was followed by a Braun triple to make the score 5-0 in the second.
Milwaukee continued their offensive onslaught with an RBI double by Lucroy in the third.
Neil Walker hit a homer to lead off the fifth inning, after a 12-pitch at-bat, for the Pirates' first hit. Pittsburgh added four more runs in the inning with two outs on five consecutive hits. Chris Snyder doubled and then scored on a Ronny Cedeno double. Cedeno crossed the plate on a pinch-hit double by Steve Pearce. Pearce then came home on Andrew McCutchen's triple, and Jose Tabata singled in McCutchen to make the score 6-5.
The Brewers answered with a Lucroy two-run home run in the bottom half of the inning.
Milwaukee added another run in the seventh when McGehee rounded the bases without the benefit of a hit. He reached base on a throwing error by third baseman Pedro Alvarez which allowed him to take second, moved to third on a flyout by Corey Hart, and scored on a wild pitch by reliever Daniel McCutchen to make the score 9-5.
Pittsburgh tried to fight back in the ninth off of John Axford, but they could not get the big hit they needed. Alvarez, Brandon Wood and Cedeno started the inning with three consecutive singles to score a run, and McCutchen walked with one out. Tabata was the potential go-ahead run, but grounded into a 6-4-3 double play to end the game.
Pittsburgh has dropped nine in a row at Miller Park...Correia fell to 5-1 on the road this season...Milwaukee scored nine runs despite hitting 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
- PITTSBURGH: 6
May 15 5:23 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded out short to first. On the play, Ronny Cedeno advances to second and Brandon Wood advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 6, Brewers 9 Top 9, 1 OutMay 15 5:17 PM
- With Yuniesky Betancourt batting, Casee McGehee scores on a Daniel McCutchen wild pitch. None on with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt at the plate.
Pirates 5, Brewers 9 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 15 4:43 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Corey Hart. Zack Greinke due up.
Pirates 5, Brewers 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 15 4:02 PM
- With Garrett Jones batting, Jose Tabata stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Garrett Jones at the plate.
Pirates 5, Brewers 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 15 3:46 PM
- Ronny Cedeno double to right scored Chris Snyder with two out. Runner on second and Kevin Correia due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 15 3:38 PM
- Neil Walker lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 6 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 3:30 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to center scored Casey McGehee with two out. Runner on second and Zack Greinke due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 3:01 PM
- Ryan Braun triple to center scored Carlos Gomez with two out. Runner on third and Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 15 2:46 PM
- Casey McGehee one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Corey Hart due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 4 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 2:22 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 2:21 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
May 15 2:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21