Greinke, Brewers down sinking PiratesAug 13, 2011 - 4:44 AM
Greinke (11-4) lasted 7 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on six hits and a walk while fanning nine to earn his fourth straight winning decision.
"That's probably as good as I've seen him. His location was outstanding, and his fastball was going in and out of the zone," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about Greinke.
Ryan Braun added a homer and two RBI in the Brewers' 14th win in their last 16 games.
Paul Maholm (6-13) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits through five full frames for the loss.
Michael McKenry went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored in Pittsburgh's 14th defeat in its last 17 games.
Casey McGehee singled with one out in the second, moved to second on a Yuniesky Betancourt groundout, and scored on a Josh Wilson base hit to center to give the Brewers a one-run lead.
Milwaukee added to its lead in the third. After back-to-back, two-out singles by Braun and Fielder, McGehee brought them both home when he slapped a triple into the right-field corner. Betancourt followed with a groundout to second to strand McGehee at third and keep it a 3-0 game.
Braun's sacrifice fly in the fifth increased the Brewers' lead.
Pittsburgh finally broke through against Greinke in the eighth. Ronny Cedeno singled with one out, and McKenry followed with a double down the third-base line to bring home Cedeno. Two batters later, Andrew McCutchen smacked a ground-rule double to dead-center field to score McKenry and knock Greinke out of the game.
Francisco Rodriguez induced a grounder to short by Xavier Paul to end the inning.
Milwaukee got those two runs back in the bottom half of the inning, plus another. Braun and Fielder led off with back-to-back home runs to almost the same spot in right-center field. Betancourt later doubled and scored on a Jonathan Lucroy single to put Milwaukee ahead by a score of 7-2.
"We're well aware of how well they hit at home," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "It was a good push back by us, but before you knew it they got a lot of separation."
Kameron Loe pitched a perfect ninth inning to close out the game.
Rodriguez had an infield single in the eighth inning for his first career hit. He then left before pitching the ninth inning with a left leg cramp...Maholm has not earned a win since beating the Cubs on July 10...Milwaukee is 6-0 against Pittsburgh this season.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Aug 12 11:12 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy infield single to short scored Yuniesky Betancourt. Runner on first with two outs and Francisco Rodriguez due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 12 10:53 PM
- Prince Fielder none out, solo Home Run (27) to right center. Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 12 10:42 PM
- Ryan Braun lead-off Home Run (22) to right. Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 12 10:40 PM
- Andrew McCutchen ground-rule double to center scored Michael McKenry. Runner on second with two outs and Xavier Paul due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 4 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 12 10:31 PM
- Michael McKenry doubled to left scored Ronny Cedeno. Runner on second with one out and Jason Grilli due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 4 Top 8, 1 OutAug 12 10:24 PM
- Ryan Braun sacrifice fly out to right scored Corey Hart. None on with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 9:44 PM
- Casey McGehee tripled to right scored Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. Runner on third with two outs and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 12 9:08 PM
- Josh Wilson singled to center scored Casey McGehee. Runner on first with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Pirates 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 12 8:41 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21