Morgan lifts Brewers over Pirates in extrasAug 15, 2011 - 12:02 AM
The Brewers got four outs because of a wild pitch and rallied to tie the game on Ryan Braun's RBI single in the eighth inning -- the first time they had a runner past second base all day.
Morgan's deep fly ball to right-center off Chris Resop (3-4) scored George Kottaras, who had singled with one out and moved to third on Casey McGehee's double off the right field wall.
The Brewers swept the three-game series and extended their winning streak to 12 straight games over the Pirates, including eight this season. They moved to 36-3 against Pittsburgh at Miller Park since 2007.
"Is there something about this place? Apparently," said Pirates starter Charlie Morton. "The proof is in the pudding."
Milwaukee also wrapped up an 18-game stretch of playing only NL Central opponents with a 16-2 record.
The Pirates are just 2-14 in their last 16 games and 5-19 in their last 24. They are headed back home for a 10-game homestand, all against division opponents.
Morton pitched into the eighth inning and left with a 1-0 lead and a runner at second base. Jose Veras got the second out, a McGehee fly ball, and was replaced by Joel Hanrahan.
Morgan struck out swinging but catcher Michael McKenry couldn't stop Hanrahan's ball in the dirt, allowing Morgan to reach first base and Jerry Hairston to reach third.
"It was a great pitch, a swing-and-miss pitch," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "Our catcher had been doing so good at blocking balls, but unfortunately it didn't work out in that situation. When there's no safety net, there's no room for error. That's on us."
Braun followed with a single up the middle, tying the game at 1-1.
"Breaks seem to happen when you're going good and we got some," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Takashi Saito (3-1) worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the 10th inning to earn the win. Shaun Marcum started the game for Milwaukee and gave up one run and five hits in 7 2/3 innings.
The Pirates took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when Garrett Jones doubled and scored on Andrew McCutchen's ground-rule double.
Morton consistently escaped trouble to lead intact.
He allowed just three baserunners in the first four innings, and only one of them made it past first after Mark Kotsay singled leading off the second and Morton hit Craig Counsell with a pitch. The Pirates escaped the inning with a double play.
The Brewers didn't have another runner until Yuniesky Betancourt singled to lead off the fifth, but he was caught stealing second. Morgan drew a two-out walk in the sixth and went to second on Braun's single, but the rally went nowhere.
The Brewers are 54-17 overall against the Pirates since 2007, the best winning percentage by one team over a division opponent in that span...The teams wore alternate jerseys for German Heritage Day at Miller Park -- the only difference were the names: "Piraten" and "Bierbrauers"...The Brewers are 5-3 in Marcum's last eight starts. Marcum is unbeaten during the span (3-0) and hasn't lost since June 29.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
Aug 14 5:37 PM
- Nyjer Morgan sacrifice fly scored George Kottaras with two out to end the game.
Pirates 1, Brewers 2 Bot 10, 2 OutsAug 14 5:37 PM
- Ryan Braun single to center scored Jerry Hairston Jr. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to third on Andrew McCutchen's fielding error. Runners on first and third with two out and Prince Fielder due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 1 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 14 4:44 PM
- Andrew McCutchen ground-rule double to left scored Garrett Jones. Runner on second with one out and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 14 2:16 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 14 2:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21