Montero, Diamondbacks down PiratesSep 22, 2011 - 6:11 AM
Diamondbacks rookie Wade Miley (4-2) went five innings, surrendering two runs on five hits while walking one. He struck out three.
Pirates starter Ross Ohlendorf (1-3) was chased from the game in the third frame when he loaded the bases without recording an out. He went two-plus innings, allowing seven runs on seven hits and two walks.
Derrek Lee continued to swing a hot bat for Pittsburgh, going 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBI.
The win moves Arizona's magic number to two to win the NL West. The Diamondbacks are 5 1/2 games ahead of the San Francisco Giants, who won against the Dodgers Wednesday night. The Diamondbacks take on the Giants in a three-game set starting Friday at Chase Field.
The Diamondbacks struck quickly in the home-half of the first. Justin Upton hit a sacrifice fly in the first to plate Willie Bloomquist and Montero followed with a two-run blast to right field to make it a 3-0 game.
Ryan Ludwick got a run back for Pittsburgh in the second with a solo home-run to left.
Arizona batted around and exploded for five more runs in the third. The frame was highlighted by an RBI single by Chris Young, a two-run double down the left-field line by Ryan Roberts and a two-run single by Hill.
In the fourth inning, Lee slapped a single to right to bring home Andrew McCutchen, who led off with a double. Lee was at it again in the sixth when he blasted a majestic solo shot deep to center field.
Pittsburgh made it an 8-4 game in the seventh when Josh Harrison scored on a wild pitch. Harrison originally reached base on an opposite field ground- rule double down the right-field line.
The Pirates chipped away once again in the eighth when Jason Jaramillo hit a pinch-hit double which plated Neil Walker, who reached on a fielder's choice.
J.J. Putz struck out the side in the ninth to notch his 43rd save of the season.
Arizona recorded two double steals in the first inning. The four swiped bags in the frame is a franchise record for Arizona, and the seventh time this season that a team has stolen four bases in an inning...Hill and Bloomquist extended their 14-game hitting streaks...Putz has converted 22-straight saves...Lee's home run was his seventh as a Pirate.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Sep 21 6:44 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Jaramillo doubled to left scoring Neil Walker. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 5, Diamondbacks 8 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 21 6:25 PM
- Bryan Shaw's wild pitch scored Josh Harrison. None on with two outs and Andrew McCutchen at the plate.
Pirates 4, Diamondbacks 8 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 21 6:07 PM
- Derrek Lee lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 8 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 21 5:43 PM
- Derrek Lee singled to right scoring Andrew McCutchen. Runner on first with none out and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 2, Diamondbacks 8 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 21 5:03 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to left scoring Lyle Overbay and Ryan Roberts. On the play, Wade Miley advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 21 4:55 PM
- Ryan Roberts doubled to left scoring Miguel Montero and Chris Young. On the play, Lyle Overbay advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 21 4:45 PM
- Chris Young singled to left scoring Justin Upton. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 21 4:37 PM
- Ryan Ludwick one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 2, 1 OutSep 21 4:11 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Aaron Hill. Chris Young due up.
Pirates 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 21 3:56 PM
- Justin Upton sacrifice fly out to center scoring Willie Bloomquist. Runner on second with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Pirates 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 21 3:54 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 21 3:43 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21