Fielder's 3 HRs lead Brewers over PiratesSep 28, 2011 - 6:10 AM
Fielder had a pair of two-run homers and a solo shot as the Brewers won for the 10th time in 14 games.
"Great ballgame for him," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about Fielder. "He can carry a team."
With wins by both the Brewers and Diamondbacks on Tuesday, Milwaukee still holds a one-game lead for home field advantage for the first round of the playoffs. Arizona holds the tie breaker entering the final game of the season.
Ryan Braun went 1-for-2 with two walks to up his average to .335 as he battles with the New York Mets Jose Reyes for the NL batting title. Reyes is hitting .336 entering the final game of the season.
LaTroy Hawkins (3-1) work a scoreless inning of relief to earn the win. Randy Wolf started the game for Milwaukee and allowed four runs on nine hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings.
John Axford tossed a perfect ninth to earn his 46th save of the year.
Jared Hughes (0-1) gave up Fielder's third home run in the seventh inning to take the loss. Ross Ohlendorf allowed four runs on five hits and three walks through a five-inning start for Pittsburgh.
Alex Presley had two hits and an RBI for the Pirates, losers in two of their past three contests.
Neil Walker led off the second inning with a ground-rule double over the right field wall and crossed the plate two batters later on Matt Pagnozzi's bloop single to shallow right.
Fielder and Rickie Weeks hit back-to-back, mammoth solo home runs in the third inning to put the Brewers ahead 2-1. Fielder's blast went an estimated 453 feet into the seats in right-center field and Weeks' shot bounced high off the glass of the luxury seats in left for an estimated 470 feet.
After Ronny Cedeno's ground-rule double in the fifth, Ohlendorf faked a bunt and then pulled his bat back and slapped a base hit up the middle to score Cedeno. Ohlendorf later came home on a Josh Harrison single to give Pittsburgh a 3-2 lead.
The Brewers took the lead right back in the bottom half of the fifth on a Fielder two-run homer to dead center field. Braun walked prior to Fielder's 37th home run of the year.
But Presley's bases-loaded walk in the sixth pushed Walker across the plate to tie the game at four.
With a runner on first in the seventh, Fielder pulled a ball over the right- field wall for his third home run of the game, putting the Brewers ahead for good.
"That guy can hit homers and he swings with such bad intentions. When he gets lasered in, I don't know how you can pitch to him," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said about Fielder.
Fielder and Weeks' homers in the third inning was the seventh time the Brewers hit back-to-back home runs this season...It was Fielder's 22nd career multi home run game...The Brewers improved to 56-24 at home this season...The Pirates fell to 36-44 on the road...Milwaukee is 11-3 against Pittsburgh this season, including a 7-1 mark at Miller Park.
- Prince Fielder none-out, two-run Home Run 3 (38) to right scored Ryan Braun. Rickie Weeks due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 27 10:43 PM
- Josh Harrison grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Ryan Doumit out at third to end the inning.
Pirates 4, Brewers 4 Mid 6Sep 27 10:13 PM
- Rickie Weeks was hit-by-pitch. Runner on first with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 27 9:56 PM
- Andrew McCutchen grounded out third to first. Runner on second with two outs and Derrek Lee due up.
Pirates 3, Brewers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 27 9:42 PM
- Ross Ohlendorf singled to center scored Ronny Cedeno. Runner on first with none out and Alex Presley due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 27 9:36 PM
- Rickie Weeks two-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 27 9:16 PM
- Matt Pagnozzi singled to right scored Neil Walker. Runner on first with one out and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 27 8:39 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 8:10 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Sep 27 11:23 AM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21