Brewers edge red-hot Red SoxJun 19, 2011 - 4:46 AM
"These guys are really hard to beat in this ballpark, and it took a great game by everyone to do it," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Rickie Weeks and Corey Hart began the game with back-to-back homers for the Brewers, who won for the second time in six contests.
Wolf (5-4) gave up two runs on nine hits with a walk while fanning three. John Axford worked a perfect ninth to earn his 19th save.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Mike Cameron picked up second-inning RBI for the Red Sox, who lost for just the second time in their last 14 games.
Jon Lester (9-3) failed in his bid to become baseball's first 10-game winner. He allowed seven hits and four runs -- three earned -- with eight strikeouts and three walks over eight full frames.
Kottaras, who served as a backup catcher with the Red Sox in 2008 and '09, reached the seats beyond the bullpen in right to start the third and provide a 3-2 margin for the visitors.
"It was a big part of the game, with us going ahead and them coming back," Kottaras said about his long blast. "There was a momentum shift in the game but Randy pitched well to hold it down."
Later in the frame, Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder worked two-out walks, and Casey McGehee's base hit scored Braun to put Milwaukee up 4-2.
Wolf held the Sox in check from there, not allowing a runner past second for the duration of his outing. Lester matched his counterpart, retiring the side in order in the fourth and eighth innings and also not allowing a runner past second.
"We just couldn't get anything going," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona about Milwaukee's starter, whom he managed in Philadelphia from 1999-2000. "Wolfie pitches with that fastball that's got a little bit of life at the end that gets on top of the barrel. He really pitched effectively."
Kameron Loe was the beneficiary of a 3-6-3 double play in the eighth after Fielder's dropped throw on a Kevin Youkilis grounder, then Axford set down the Sox in order to finish off the victory.
Weeks and Hart greeted Lester with back-to-back solo homers to center to begin the game, but Saltalamacchia and Cameron responded with an RBI single each in the home second.
This was Milwaukee's first victory at Fenway since September 5, 1997, just before the Brewers departed for the National League. It snapped a six-game losing skid in Boston...Prior to the contest, the Brewers designated pitcher Daniel Ray Herrera for assignment and purchased the contract of pitcher Mark DiFelice from Triple-A Nashville (PCL)...Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez finished hitless in four at-bats and remains one hit shy of 1,000 for his career...Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon served the last of his two-game suspension on Saturday.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Jun 18 10:00 PM
- Casey McGehee single to left scored Ryan Braun with two outs. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 4, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 18 8:04 PM
- Rickie Weeks grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 3, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 18 7:53 PM
- Mike Cameron single to right scored David Ortiz with two outs. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 18 7:47 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia single to left center scored Kevin Youkilis with two outs. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Cameron due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 18 7:46 PM
- Corey Hart none-out Home Run (7) to center. Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 18 7:14 PM
- Rickie Weeks lead-off Home Run (14) to center. Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 18 7:13 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21