Red Sox rout BrewersJun 20, 2011 - 12:12 AM
Marco Scutaro added a two-run blast, while Dustin Pedroia homered and drove in a pair of runs for the Red Sox, who took the series and have won 13 of their last 15 contests.
Jacoby Ellsbury and Adrian Gonzalez also collected two hits and knocked in two runs apiece as Boston ran its AL-best record to 43-28.
Tim Wakefield (4-2) worked eight innings for the win, allowing three runs on three hits. The veteran knuckleballer fanned six and walked only one.
"I've always said that if the offense scores that many runs it makes my job a lot easier knowing I can make one or two mistakes," Wakefield admitted.
Nyjer Morgan hit a two-run homer and Prince Fielder registered a solo shot for the Brewers, who have dropped five of seven.
Yovani Gallardo (8-4) lasted three-plus frames in the loss, charged with nine hits and eight runs -- five earned -- with four strikeouts and two walks during his shortest start of the year. A whopping 46 of his 93 pitches came in a disastrous first inning.
The Sox welcomed the Milwaukee hurler with a six-run first.
Ellsbury and Pedroia both singled and advanced into scoring position on a wild pitch. Gallardo then mishandled a Gonzalez grounder to score one, and Youkilis followed by ripping a ball over the Green Monster for a 4-0 game.
Two more singles and a walk which loaded the bases were interspersed with two outs, then Ellsbury roped a double to right which scored two more.
Milwaukee answered in the second on Casey McGehee's one-out double and a two- run homer from Morgan over the low wall in right.
"It had good movement on it," Fielder said of Wakefield's knuckler. "Some of them went in to right-handers, some of them went in to left-handers. It did what good knuckleballs do. It was frustrating."
Pedroia's homer to dead center to start the fourth made it 7-2, and Gonzalez followed with a triple -- his 1,000th career hit -- which ended Gallardo's day. Sergio Mitre came on to walk Youkilis and a David Ortiz fielder's choice grounder made it 8-2.
Josh Reddick began the home fifth with a ground-rule double and later scored on a Pedroia sacrifice fly.
Scutaro cleared the Monster for a two-run shot in the sixth which put Boston into double digits, but in the next frame Fielder wrapped a ball around the Pesky Pole to make it 11-3.
Boston's final run came in the last of the seventh as Brewers right fielder Corey Hart dropped a Pedroia double and Gonzalez scored him with a single.
Pedroia finished with three hits and scored three runs...Sox right fielder J.D. Drew added two hits and a run scored as Boston hit double digits for the fourth time in its last 10 games...Fielder's homer tied him with Geoff Jenkins for second on the all-time Brewers list at 212...Brewers designated hitter Ryan Braun extended his hit streak to 12 games with a ninth-inning single...Prior to the contest, the Red Sox welcomed the 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins...Virtually the entire roster threw out first pitches and team captain Zdeno Chara held the Cup aloft while traversing the length of the field...The Sox also placed pitcher Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list and selected the contract of pitcher Andrew Miller from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Jun 19 4:24 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Dustin Pedroia with two out. Runner on first and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Brewers 3, Red Sox 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 19 4:01 PM
- Casey McGehee grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 3, Red Sox 11 Top 7, 1 OutJun 19 3:50 PM
- Marco Scutaro two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored David Ortiz. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 19 3:44 PM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to center scored Josh Reddick with two out. None on and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 19 3:30 PM
- David Ortiz grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring Adrian Gonzalez with one out. Kevin Youkilis out at second. Runner on first and J.D. Drew due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 8 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 19 3:11 PM
- Dustin Pedroia lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 7 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 19 3:01 PM
- Nyjer Morgan two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Casey McGehee. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 2, Red Sox 6 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 19 2:26 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury double to right scored David Ortiz and J.D. Drew with two out. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to third. Runners on second and third with Dustin Pedroia due up.
Brewers 0, Red Sox 6 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 19 2:15 PM
- Kevin Youkilis none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to left scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. David Ortiz due up.
Brewers 0, Red Sox 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 19 2:04 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez reached first on Yovani Gallardo's missed catch error scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with none out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on first and third with Kevin Youkilis due up.
Brewers 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 19 2:03 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 19 1:48 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21