Rockies even series with D-BacksApr 3, 2011 - 5:08 AM
Starter Jorge De La Rosa (1-0) was sensational for the Rockies. He struck out five and scattered three hits before leaving with one out in the sixth inning because of a blister on his index finger. He also had an RBI single in the game while Dexter Fowler collected an RBI double.
Huston Street recorded his first save of the season, stranding the possible tying run in the top of the ninth.
Daniel Hudson (0-1) was tagged with the loss, giving up three runs on six hits for Arizona, which captured the first game of the series with a dramatic 7-6 win in 11 innings on Friday. Ryan Roberts went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
"I thought I threw the ball OK," Hudson said of his start. "I left a few balls over the plate, but I felt good, overall."
Street didn't make his save opportunity easy during the ninth, though. Justin Upton started the possible rally on a sharp single to second baseman to Jose Lopez and Chris Young walked.
Roberts hit a rocket down the left field line to score Upton. The Diamondbacks continued to threaten when pinch-hitter Russell Branyan's fly ball to center moved the runners to scoring position, but with two outs. However, Street fanned Gerardo Parra to end the game.
"That's baseball," Street said. "Sometimes you give up hits. Sometimes it's interesting and sometimes it's three up three down."
Iannetta scored on Fowler's double to go up 1-0 in the third.
Colorado then tacked on two more runs in the fourth. Lopez started the short rally with a single, and two batters later, Iannetta doubled to right field to plate Lopez. De La Rosa then helped his own cause with a line drive to right field to score Iannetta.
De La Rosa improves to 6-3 vs. Arizona. He threw 87 pitches -- 54 for strikes...The Diamondbacks are just 6-14 in Denver over the past two-plus seasons...Arizona was 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while Rockies went 2-for-8.
- ARIZONA: 1
Apr 2 11:22 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to left scored Justin Upton with none out. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 3 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 2 11:09 PM
- Jorge De La Rosa singled to right scored Chris Iannetta with two out. Runner on first and Dexter Fowler due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 2 9:40 PM
- Chris Iannetta doubled to right scored Jose Lopez with two out. Runner on second and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 2 9:37 PM
- Dexter Fowler doubled to left scored Chris Iannetta with one out. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 2 9:11 PM
- Willie Bloomquist singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Apr 2 8:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21