Cairo, Janish help Reds down D'BacksApr 21, 2011 - 9:42 PM
Joey Votto hit a solo homer and Ramon Hernandez went 2-for-3 with a run- scoring double for the Reds, who had dropped six of seven coming into the contest.
Mike Leake (3-0) worked seven quality innings, allowing three runs on four hits with two walks and six strikeouts. The 24-year-old made his scheduled start despite his arrest on Monday for an alleged shoplifting incident at a downtown Cincinnati Macy's department store.
"I'll be better once it's all done," Leake said about his legal situation. "Right now I just have to eat it and just go out there and do what I can for the team."
Stephen Drew clubbed a solo homer and drove in two, while Kelly Johnson also homered for Arizona, which had a three-game winning streak halted.
Daniel Hudson (0-4) was roughed up for seven runs on five hits and four walks in 5 1/3 innings. The right-hander struck out three and also drove in a run.
"I saw him kick the mound one time. Just trying too hard. He's got good stuff. Was unable to locate like he wanted to," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said about Hudson.
Drew's two-out run-scoring single in the first gave Arizona the early lead, but the Reds answered with four in the home half.
With the bases loaded and one out, Jay Bruce drew a walk to force in a run and Cairo singled through the left side to plate two more. Later in the inning with the bases loaded again, Janish worked a free pass to make it a 4-1 game. Leake bounced into a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning.
Arizona put men on the corners with one out in the second and Hudson's safety squeeze bunt brought in a run.
Leake settled down to retire eight in a row before Johnson belted a one-out solo homer to right in the fifth to cut the Diamondbacks' deficit to 4-3.
Meanwhile, Hudson retired 12 straight after a shaky start, but Votto snapped that string with a shot into the right-field seats with two outs in the fifth.
Hernandez's RBI double high off the left-field wall and a run-scoring single by Janish in the seventh, put the Reds up 7-3.
Logan Ondrusek worked a perfect eighth and Francisco Cordero served up a leadoff homer to Drew in the ninth, then fanned the next two batters before Gerard Parra singled to center. Pinch-hitter Miguel Montero walked, but pinch-hitter Russell Branyan grounded out to second to end the game.
Despite the loss, Arizona has won four of the six meetings against the Reds this season...Hudson fell to 2-2 in four career starts versus Cincinnati.
- ARIZONA: 4
Apr 21 3:14 PM
- Stephen Drew lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Reds 7 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 21 3:02 PM
- Paul Janish single to center scored Ramon Hernandez with one out. Janish advanced to second on throw. Runner on second and Mike Leake due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Reds 7 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 21 2:23 PM
- Sam Demel enters the game for the Diamondbacks with a runner on second and one out.
Diamondbacks 3, Reds 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 21 2:19 PM
- Joey Votto two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Jonny Gomes due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Reds 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 21 2:00 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Reds 4 Top 5, 1 OutApr 21 1:50 PM
- Daniel Hudson sacrifice bunt to first scored Juan Miranda with two out. Runner on second and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Reds 4 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 21 1:13 PM
- Paul Janish walk scored Jay Bruce with one out. Bases loaded and Mike Leake due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 4 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 21 1:06 PM
- Miguel Cairo single to left scored Joey Votto and Jonny Gomes with one out. Runners on first and second with Ramon Hernandez due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 3 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 21 12:59 PM
- Jay Bruce walk scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Bases loaded and Miguel Cairo due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 21 12:57 PM
- Stephen Drew single to center scored Ryan Roberts with two out. Runner on first and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 21 12:42 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 12:36 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21