After review, Mets top DiamondbacksApr 23, 2011 - 6:04 AM
Carlos Beltran added an RBI single for the Mets, who have won two games in a row after dropping nine of their previous 10. New York starter Mike Pelfrey (1-2) gave up one run on five hits over seven strong innings.
Joe Saunders limited the Mets to a run on two hits with three walks in six- plus innings for Arizona, which has lost five of eight.
"I thought I set us up well tonight but we just didn't execute," Saunders said. "It was a battle."
Esmerling Vasquez (0-1) replaced Saunders after David Wright walked to begin the seventh. Vasquez retired the next two batters before Davis crushed a 1-0 offering off the center-field wall. The hit was originally ruled a double, and the umpires briefly conversed on the field before observing the replay, which showed that the ball hit above the orange line that serves as the home run boundary.
Davis' two-run blast put the Mets up 2-1.
"I didn't even know it was out." Davis said of his reviewed home run. "Then I was watching the replay and thought, 'Oh that might be out.'"
New York loaded the bases with no outs against Juan Gutierrez in the eighth before Beltran grounded a run-scoring single to right field. The Mets picked up another run later in the inning when third baseman Ryan Roberts botched a grounder hit by Mike Nickeas.
Francisco Rodriguez closed the door in the ninth for his third save of the season.
Kelly Johnson and Justin Upton produced the only Arizona run with back-to-back doubles in the third.
New York improved to 2-5 in the first game of a series this season...Before the game, the Mets placed outfielder Angel Pagan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique and selected the contract of outfielder Jason Pridie from Triple-A Buffalo. Pridie was 0-for-3 with a walk on Friday...Arizona won five of the six meetings with the Mets in 2010.
- ARIZONA: 1
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 22 10:17 PM
- Mike Nickeas reached first on Ryan Roberts's fielding error which scored Daniel Murphy. Bases loaded with two outs and Jason Pridie due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 22 10:05 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to right scoring Jose Reyes. Bases loaded with none out and Jason Bay due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 22 9:58 PM
- Ike Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored David Wright. Mike Nickeas is due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 22 9:24 PM
- Justin Upton doubled to right scoring Kelly Johnson. Runner on second with one out and Stephen Drew due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 22 8:03 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21