Resurgent Mets take down D-Backs againApr 24, 2011 - 6:29 AM
Jason Bay hit a solo homer and drove in three runs for the Mets, who have won three in a row for the second time in 2011. Ike Davis also hit a solo home run.
Dillon Gee (2-0) went six innings in the start, allowing four runs -- two earned -- on five hits to pick up the win. He also struck out five and walked one.
"I was throwing changeups early in the game and they started to sit on them," said Gee. "I used that a bit later and went to the curveball to throw them off and it worked."
Miguel Montero hit a solo homer for Arizona, which got an RBI apiece from Stephen Drew, Gerardo Parra and Ryan Roberts.
Barry Enright (0-2) went 5 2/3 innings, giving up five runs on 12 hits to take the loss.
"I felt like I'm in a rhythm where I give up runs with two outs," said Enright. "It makes me look bad and it makes the team look bad and I'm sick of it."
Arizona scored a run in the first inning. Justin Upton hit a two-out single and crossed the plate on Drew's triple to right.
New York responded with two runs in the home first to take the lead. Jose Reyes walked and David Wright singled to put men on the corners with one out. After Carlos Beltran fouled out, Wright stole second. Bay followed with a two-run single to center.
The Mets hit two homers in the third to take a 4-1 lead. With two outs, Bay cleared the right-center field wall. Davis then hit a homer to right.
The Diamondbacks scored twice in the fourth to make it a one-run contest. Drew walked and Montero reached first on second baseman Murphy's fielding error with one out. The score was 4-3 after Roberts and Parra hit RBI singles.
Montero hit a solo homer to right-center field in the sixth to tie the game.
But the Mets scored a run of their own in the home sixth to go back in front. Pinch-hitter Justin Turner hit a one-out double to right and crossed the plate on Murphy's base hit to right for a 5-4 lead.
New York added an insurance run in the eighth. With a runner on second and two outs, Murphy singled to right for a 6-4 margin.
Francisco Rodriguez came on in the ninth for New York. He put men on second and third with one out, but fanned pinch-hitter Xavier Nady and Chris Young for his fourth save.
Arizona took five of seven meetings from the Mets last season...The Mets went 4-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine...Reyes scored twice...Montero scored twice for Arizona, which went 2-for-8 with RISP.
- ARIZONA: 4
NEW YORK: 6
Apr 23 5:19 PM
- Francisco Rodriguez starts the inning for the Mets.
Diamondbacks 4, Mets 6 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 23 5:08 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to right scoring Justin Turner. Runner on second with two outs and David Wright due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Mets 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 23 4:26 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Mets 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 4:16 PM
- Gerardo Parra singled to center scoring Miguel Montero. Runners on second and third with two outs and Barry Enright due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Mets 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 23 3:40 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to center scoring Stephen Drew. Runners on first and second with one out and Juan Miranda due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Mets 4 Top 4, 1 OutApr 23 3:38 PM
- Ike Davis two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Josh Thole due up. NOTE: The home runs are back-to-back.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 23 3:25 PM
- Jason Bay two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Ike Davis due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 23 3:23 PM
- Ike Davis singled to center. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 23 2:56 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Diamondbacks 1, Mets 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 23 2:41 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 2:31 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21