Upton's homer lifts Diamondbacks over RockiesMay 4, 2011 - 5:54 AM
Upton's sixth home run of the season made a winner out of David Hernandez (1-0), who worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the away eighth.
"I was just making sure it was a strike," Upton said of his home run. "I was able to get a good piece of it."
Henry Blanco added a solo homer as the Diamondbacks improved to 5-3 on a 10- game homestand.
Carlos Gonzalez went 2-for-2 with two walks and a solo home run for Colorado, which has dropped three of four overall.
After Paulino (0-1) served up Upton's round-tripper, J.J. Putz entered in the ninth and worked around a one-out single to notch his seventh save.
Both starters had similar lines, with each lasting six innings and allowing three runs. Arizona's Joe Saunders gave up six hits and struck out two, while Jorge De La Rosa surrendered seven hits and fanned six.
Blanco, who was spelling Miguel Montero behind the plate, smacked a leadoff homer in the third inning to tie the game, and Xavier Nady brought home two more later in the inning on a bases-loaded single up the middle.
Gonzalez, who scored in the second inning on Ryan Spilborghs' sacrifice fly, crushed a ball to deep right-center leading off the fourth to cut the deficit to 3-2. Jonathan Herrera's triple into the right-field corner plated Dexter Fowler with the tying run in the fifth.
Herrera, though, was thrown out at home on Todd Helton's grounder to third, and Helton had a similar base running error in the eighth, as he was caught between third and home on a soft roller to first base.
The Rockies still had a chance to score with the bases loaded, but Hernandez got Chris Iannetta to pop out to second.
"We just couldn't get a big hit," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
Blanco was 0-for-10 at the plate entering the game...The Rockies had one hit in every inning...Upton had three hits.
- COLORADO: 3
May 4 12:46 AM
- Stephen Drew grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Xavier Nady due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 4 12:32 AM
- Jonathan Herrera tripled to right scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on third with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 1 OutMay 3 11:11 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Jose Lopez due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 3 10:51 PM
- Xavier Nady singled to center scored Joe Saunders and Ryan Roberts. Runners on first and third with two outs and Melvin Mora due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 3 10:45 PM
- Henry Blanco lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Joe Saunders due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 3 10:32 PM
- Chris Iannetta walked. Runner on first with two outs and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 3 10:06 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 9:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21