Padres walk off with extra-inning win over D-BacksMay 7, 2011 - 7:33 AM
Sam Demel (1-2) allowed a pinch-single to Chris Denorfia with one out in the home 11th, then Will Venable followed with a base hit before a Jason Bartlett grounder advanced both runners.
Ryan Ludwick reached on catcher's interference to load the sacks ahead of Headley's game-winning free pass.
"It was a good at-bat. He worked it to a full count and forced Demel to throw a strike," Padres manager Bud Black said of Headley's AB.
Chad Qualls (1-2) was the beneficiary of the rally, getting the win after turning in two innings of scoreless relief.
Headley finished with two RBI for the Padres, who wasted a 3-0 lead in the ninth but recovered to win for the fourth time in six games.
Gerardo Parra posted two hits including a run-scoring double in the ninth for the Diamondbacks, who were coming off a series win against Colorado.
"We walked  guys and walked the winning run in. You can't walk people in this ballpark," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said.
Padres closer Heath Bell came in to the ninth looking for his 42nd straight save, which would have moved him alone into fourth place all-time, but Arizona had other ideas.
Ryan Roberts and Juan Miranda walked, then Parra doubled home Roberts. After pinch-hitter Russell Branyan and Chris Young struck out, Headley threw low to first on a Kelly Johnson grounder, and when Brad Hawpe couldn't make the scoop, two runs crossed the plate.
With runners on the corners and none out in the third, San Diego starter Tim Stauffer benefited from a throwing error by Arizona counterpart Armando Galarraga to score the Padres' first run. Venable followed with a sacrifice fly for a 2-0 lead.
Headley singled in Venable in the fifth, and the Padres' bullpen prevented any damage in the seventh when the D-Backs left the bases loaded.
Stauffer went 6 2/3 scoreless innings and allowed four hits with six strikeouts...Galarraga lasted just 4 1/3 frames, charged with three hits and three runs -- two earned -- with six walks...Bell's last blown save occurred on May 26, 2010 against the Cardinals...Prior to the game, San Diego placed catcher Nick Hundley on the 15-day disabled list, purchased the contract of catcher Kyle Phillips from Double-A San Antonio, and transferred infielder Jarrett Hoffpauir to the 60-day disabled list.
- ARIZONA: 3
SAN DIEGO: 4
May 7 1:56 AM
- Chase Headley walked. Chris Denorfia scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Brad Hawpe due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Padres 4 Bot 11, 2 OutsMay 7 1:55 AM
- Kelly Johnson reached first on Chase Headley's throwing error scored Juan Miranda and Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Padres 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 7 12:59 AM
- Gerardo Parra doubled to right scored Ryan Roberts. On the play, Juan Miranda advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Juan Gutierrez due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 3 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 7 12:51 AM
- Chase Headley singled to right scored Will Venable. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brad Hawpe due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 6 11:32 PM
- Will Venable sacrifice fly out to left scored Rob Johnson.. Runner on second with one out and Jason Bartlett due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 6 10:48 PM
- Tim Stauffer reached first on Armando Galarraga's throwing error scored Eric Patterson. On the play, Rob Johnson advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Will Venable due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 6 10:47 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 10:06 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21