Diamondbacks blank San DiegoMay 8, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Daniel Hudson (3-4) earned the win in seven scoreless innings where he allowed five hits and no walks while fanning six.
Ryan Roberts added three hits and crossed the plate three times to give the D- Backs their fourth win in six games.
Dustin Moseley (1-4) took the loss in five innings where he allowed six runs on eight hits and three walks to hand San Diego its third loss in five games.
"I wasn't ahead in the counts, throwing first pitch strikes, like I have in previous starts and that's what hurts you," said Moseley. "They have a nice line up over there. They have some power throughout, so if you make mistakes they're going to whack it."
In the first inning, Roberts hit a one-out single, advanced to second on a groundout by Upton and scored on Eric Patterson's throwing error after a Stephen Drew infield single.
The D-Backs added three more runs in the third on RBI singles Drew and Melvin Mora and a run-scoring groundout by Juan Miranda to give them a four-run advantage.
Upton's two-run shot in the fourth made the score 6-0.
"We weren't exactly scoring too many runs when I was on the mound. I kept saying it was going to even out in the end," said Hudson. "The guys are starting to swing the bat a little bit better, throwing some runs up there early, and getting me comfortable out there."
The Padres had chances to get on the board early in the game, but they did not capitalize on them. They had a runner on third in the second, and a runner on second in the third, both with one out. They also had a runner on second with two outs in the fourth. Altogether they went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
The Padres have now committed at least one error in their last five games...Hudson threw 75 of his 107 pitches for strikes.
- ARIZONA: 6
SAN DIEGO: 0
May 7 10:58 PM
- Justin Upton one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left center scored Ryan Roberts. Stephen Drew due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Padres 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 7 9:40 PM
- Juan Miranda grounded out second to pitcher scored Stephen Drew with two out. On the play, Melvin Mora advances to second and Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on second and third with Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Padres 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 7 9:22 PM
- Melvin Mora singled to right scored Ryan Roberts with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second and Stephen Drew advances to third. Bases loaded and Juan Miranda due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 7 9:21 PM
- Stephen Drew singled to center scored Chris Young with one out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on second and third with Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 7 9:17 PM
- Stephen Drew infield single to second. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to home on Eric Patterson's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 7 8:43 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 8:36 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21