Padres trample DiamondbacksMay 17, 2011 - 5:31 AM
Ludwick finished 2-for-3 and drove in three, while Chase Headley was 3-for-4 with a walk and an RBI for the Padres, who have won a season-high three straight games.
"Out of the chute, we only had a couple of guys swing the bat well and the other guys were not," said Padres manager Bud Black. "Now we have our guys doing much better, collectively, and that's what teams need to do to score runs."
Clayton Richard (2-4) took the win after allowing three runs in 5 2/3 innings. He gave up five hits -- two of which were home runs by Henry Blanco -- walked three and struck out five.
Armando Galarraga (3-4) allowed eight runs, only five of which were earned, in a five-inning start for Arizona, which was coming off a series victory in Los Angeles over the weekend.
"He didn't pitch very well at all," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of Galarraga. "Didn't set a very good tone for us, really didn't have much tonight at all; no location."
The Padres got to Galarraga in the first inning, when Jason Bartlett singled, Headley doubled and Brad Hawpe walked to load the bases. Cameron Maybin followed with a run-scoring single, and Ludwick hit a sacrifice fly to make it a 2-0 game.
In the second inning, Alberto Gonzalez and Chris Denorfia reached on fielding errors by second baseman Ryan Roberts and shortstop Stephen Drew, respectively. That put two runners in scoring position for Bartlett, who plated them both with a double to left. He then scored on Headley's single to put San Diego ahead 5-0.
Blanco led off the bottom of the third with his third homer of the season, but Arizona fell further behind in the fifth.
Headley walked and advanced to third when Hawpe singled, setting the stage for another rally. Maybin's sacrifice fly and Ludwick's homer then turned the game into a rout.
The Diamondbacks got two of the runs back in the home half, on Blanco's second homer of the game and Melvin Mora's RBI single. They added another when Justin Upton began the eighth with a blast to left, but were too far behind.
Mike Adams recorded the final five outs for the second save of his career, and first since 2005.
Adams has pitched 258 1/3 innings in his career, all in relief, and has served primarily as a setup man -- 135 2/3 of his career innings have been in the eighth. Only 29 1/3 have been in the ninth...Blanco recorded the fourth multi- homer game of his career...Galarraga matched a career high in runs allowed. He has pitched five innings or fewer in four of his eight starts this season.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
May 17 12:34 AM
- Justin Upton lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Stephen Drew due up.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 17 12:01 AM
- Justin Upton struck out swinging. Runners on first and third with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 16 11:12 PM
- Juan Miranda is pinch-hitting for Armando Galarraga.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 16 11:06 PM
- Ryan Ludwick one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Brad Hawpe. Kyle Phillips due up.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 16 10:58 PM
- Cameron Maybin sacrifice fly out to center scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 16 10:56 PM
- Henry Blanco lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Armando Galarraga due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 16 10:30 PM
- Chase Headley singled to left scored Jason Bartlett with one out. Runner on second and Brad Hawpe due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 16 10:09 PM
- Jason Bartlett doubled to left scored Alberto Gonzalez and Chris Denorfia with one out. Runner on second and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 16 10:07 PM
- Kyle Phillips flied out to right to end the inning.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 1May 16 9:53 PM
- Cameron Maybin singled to left scored Jason Bartlett with one out. On the play, Brad Hawpe advances to second and Chase Headley advances to third. Bases loaded and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 16 9:50 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 9:40 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21