D-Backs hang on to defeat TwinsMay 21, 2011 - 6:10 AM
Kelly Johnson drove in two runs while Ian Kennedy pitched 7 2/3 strong innings for Arizona, which have won four straight games. Kennedy (5-1) allowed four runs on six hits.
"That was a fun game," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "Minnesota was pressuring us and it's just fun. It's a good feeling to get the win."
Trevor Plouffe, Danny Valencia and Michael Cuddyer each had solo shots for the Twins, who had a three-game win streak halted. Jason Kubel had two RBI in defeat but had a key strike out in the ninth where the Twins scored three runs.
Brian Duensing (2-4) was saddled with the loss for Minnesota, allowing five runs on seven hits over six-plus innings.
The Twins made it interesting in the final inning with Valencia's one-out homer and later on Drew Butera doubled to bring home Delmon Young to make it an 8-6 game.
Without the services of usual closer J.J. Putz, the Diamondbacks had to go with David Hernandez, who walked the tying and go-ahead run to load the bases with one out. Showing obvious control problems the pitcher walked a third straight batter, Plouffe, to bring in a run and make it 8-7.
With the bases still loaded, Joe Paterson came into the game to face Minnesota's sluggers Kubel and Justin Morneau. Paterson buckled down to fan Kubel and force Morneau into a ground out to end the game and get his first-career save.
"We wanted to win, but it was a good sign that we kept things interesting and close," Kubel said.
Drew's lead-off homer in the seventh tied the game at two and sparked a five- run rally that put the Diamondbacks in the driver's seat.
Chris Young kept it going with a double and Miguel Montero singled to put runners on the corners with no outs. Xavier Nady brought in Young with a single which spelt the end of Duensing's outing.
Later in the inning with the bases loaded, Roberts came up big with a double that pushed all three runners home for a 6-2 lead.
Minnesota didn't go away, though, scoring two off of Kubel's triple in the eighth that hit the base of the overhang balcony in center field. The play was reviewed and showed that the ball landed well below the yellow boundary line and kept it a 6-4 game.
However, the home team got the two runs back during their half of the eighth. Montero had an RBI single and scored on Johnson's double to push it to an 8-4 game.
The Twins got on the board during the second inning with Cuddyer's one-out homer that soared into the left field seats. Johnson's two-out RBI single tied the game at one apiece in the fifth.
Minnesota, though, regained the lead in the sixth with Plouffe' homer that landed in the same area as Cuddyer's earlier shot.
Earlier this week Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew succumbed to cancer and the Twins attended his funeral today at Christ's Church of the Valley in Peoria, AZ. Manager Ron Gardenhire, Cuddyer and Morneau were among the pall bearers...This was the first matchup between the teams since the Twins won all three meetings with the D'Backs in 2008 at the Metrodome...Minnesota fell to 1-4 on a seven-game road trip.
- MINNESOTA: 7
May 21 12:26 AM
- Drew Butera scored on Trevor Plouffe's walk with one out. Bases loaded and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 7, Diamondbacks 8 Top 9, 1 OutMay 21 12:21 AM
- Drew Butera doubled to right scored Delmon Young with one out. Runner on second and Phil Dumatrait due up.
Twins 6, Diamondbacks 8 Top 9, 1 OutMay 21 12:12 AM
- Danny Valencia one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Delmon Young due up.
Twins 5, Diamondbacks 8 Top 9, 1 OutMay 21 12:07 AM
- Kelly Johnson doubled to center scored Miguel Montero with two out. Runner on second and Aaron Heilman due up.
Twins 4, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 20 11:58 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to right scored Stephen Drew with one out. Runner on second and Xavier Nady due up.
Twins 4, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 20 11:56 PM
- Jason Kubel tripled to right scored Denard Span and Trevor Plouffe with two out. Runner on third and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 4, Diamondbacks 6 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 20 11:48 PM
- Ryan Roberts doubled to center scored Xavier Nady, Kelly Johnson and Willie Bloomquist with two out. Runner on second and Justin Upton due up.
Twins 2, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 20 11:25 PM
- Xavier Nady singled to left scored Chris Young with none out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with Kelly Johnson due up.
Twins 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 20 11:16 PM
- Stephen Drew lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Chris Young due up.
Twins 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 20 11:09 PM
- Trevor Plouffe two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 20 10:53 PM
- Kelly Johnson singled to left scored Xavier Nady with two out. Runner on first and Ian Kennedy due up.
Twins 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 20 10:45 PM
- Michael Cuddyer one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 20 9:59 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 9:40 PM
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21