Diamondbacks earn DH split with RockiesMay 25, 2011 - 5:49 AM
The Rockies won the early portion with a 12-4 decision, as Carlos Gonzalez hit a pair of home runs and drove in four. However, the Rockies likely lost pitcher Jorge De La Rosa for the rest of the season after he suffered a tear of his ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow.
In the nightcap, Joe Saunders (1-5) earned his first win of the season with eight strong innings, allowing two runs on six hits and a walk while fanning four.
"It's always good when your starting pitcher throws the ball that way," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson.
Jhoulys Chacin (5-3) took the loss in seven innings of work, allowing five runs on five hits and two walks while striking out four in the Rockies' fifth setback in seven games.
Arizona jumped out to an early lead when Johnson deposited a ball over the center field wall in the first inning.
Colorado tied the game in the second on a Jason Giambi homer to right field. It was Giambi's fifth home run in his last 12 at-bats.
Dexter Fowler hit a two-out single in the third and was followed by a Gonzalez base-hit that moved Fowler to third. Saunders then threw a wild-pitch during a Troy Tulowitzki at-bat and Fowler broke for home. D-Backs catcher Miguel Montero recovered the ball and tossed it to Saunders, who made a diving tag on Fowler to end the inning. Colorado manager Jim Tracy argued the call and was ejected from the game by home plate umpire Mark Wegner.
Johnson led off the fourth with a walk, moved to second on a Chris Young single and advanced to third on Stephen Drew's flyout before scoring on a Xavier Nady groundout. The play would have resulted in an inning-ending double play, but Giambi couldn't handle the short hop on Tulowitzki's throw and the D-Backs took a 2-1 lead.
Arizona extended its cushion in the sixth with RBI doubles by Johnson, Drew and Montero to make the score 5-1.
The Rockies made it a three-run game with a solo shot from Ty Wigginton in the seventh.
But that would be all they could muster off Saunders. J.J. Putz pitched a perfect ninth to earn his 13th save of the season.
"After I left, it looked to me like we got into too much of a pull mode against him (Saunders) and I saw a lot of ground ball outs to the left side. You need to do better than two runs offensively," said Tracy.
Arizona third baseman Sean Burroughs made his first start in the majors since May 3, 2006 with Tampa Bay...Saunders threw 65 of his 100 pitches for strikes...Colorado went 0-for-2 with runners in scoring position and left four men on base.
- ARIZONA: 5
May 24 11:07 PM
- Ty Wigginton two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 10:25 PM
- Miguel Montero double to right center scored Stephen Drew.. Runner on second with two outs and Sean Burroughs due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 24 10:06 PM
- Stephen Drew double to left scored Kelly Johnson.. Runner on second with one out and Xavier Nady due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 24 10:04 PM
- Kelly Johnson double to left scored Ryan Roberts. Runner on second with none out and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 24 9:59 PM
- Xavier Nady grounded into a fielder's choice to short scoring Kelly Johnson. Chris Young out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 24 9:33 PM
- Jason Giambi one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Ty Wigginton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 24 9:01 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 24 8:42 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21