D-Backs defeat Rockies to take seriesMay 27, 2011 - 6:23 AM
Kelly Johnson hit a two-run home run for the Diamondbacks, who won the final three games of this series. Melvin Mora had an RBI.
Micah Owings (1-0) gave up one run on four hits over five innings to pick up his first win since May 5, 2010, when he was a member of the Reds. In his second start of the season, Owings struck out three and walked one.
"He gave us a great effort. I think he moved it around well, moved it in and out, up and down. He just absolutely pounded the zone," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of Owings.
Ryan Spilborghs, Jason Giambi and Troy Tulowitzki each drove in a run for the Rockies, who have lost six of seven to drop below .500.
Clayton Mortensen (1-2) allowed four runs on five hits over six full frames to suffer the loss. He also struck out five and walked three.
"The walks are what killed me tonight," Mortensen said.
Arizona scored three runs in the fourth to break a scoreless tie. Stephen Drew and Chris Young started the frame with consecutive walks. Montero then stepped to the plate and smacked Mortensen's offering over the wall in right. Mortensen retired the next three batters in order to keep it a 3-0 game.
The Rockies got a run back in the home fourth. Carlos Gonzalez singled, moved to second on a wild pitch and crossed the plate on Tulowitzki's base hit to right. Todd Helton followed with a single to right that snuck under a sliding Justin Upton. Ty Wigginton then grounded into a double play, but Tulowitzki went to third on the play. Chris Iannetta flied out to end the frame.
The Diamondbacks tacked on a run in the sixth to make it a three-run contest again. Young led off with a single, stole second, advanced to third on Iannetta's throwing error and scored on Mora's two-out single.
Colorado scored twice in the seventh to make things interesting. Esmerling Vasques started the inning on the mound and walked Helton. Wigginton followed with a single and Dexter Fowler worked a one-out walk to load the bases. Pinch-hitter Giambi's sacrifice fly and Spilborghs' RBI single made it a 4-3 contest.
Johnson gave Arizona some distance again in the ninth. With Xavier Nady on first and two outs, Johnson hit a homer off Huston Street.
David Hernandez pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings to pick up his first save of the season.
Arizona has won six of nine meetings with NL West-rival Colorado this season...Owings improved to 3-0 lifetime against the Rockies...Arizona has won 11 of its past 13 games.
- ARIZONA: 6
May 26 11:40 PM
- Kelly Johnson two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right center scored Xavier Nady. Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 26 11:30 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs single to center scored Ty Wigginton with two outs. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 26 11:04 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Giambi sacrifice fly to center scored Todd Helton with two outs. Runners on first and second and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 26 11:03 PM
- Melvin Mora single to left scored Chris Young with two outs, on the play Melvin Mora was out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 1 Mid 6May 26 10:28 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to right scored Carlos Gonzalez with none out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 26 9:52 PM
- Miguel Montero none-out, three-run Home Run (5) to right scored Stephen Drew and Chris Young. Juan Miranda due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 26 9:43 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21